It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Synthroid and Thyroid NP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
    TerraT
    (female)

TerraT HB User
    Synthroid and Thyroid NP

Hi all, I've been having problems for a while with dosages on my thyroid med, (thyroid np) When I take 90mgs I start to get a little heart palps and period gets out of whack. Hard to sleep right at night. Also my F T3 is a little on the high side but Tsh is ok but my FT4 is below the low normal (like in the basement lol). So when I back down to the 75 mg T3 is good, tsh ok and T4 of course is pretty low. Id post labs but it would just be confusing since ive had to switch around. My doc says I have 2 options, I can take 75mg one day and 90 the next of thyroid np or he gave me a script for synthroid (not generic). 25 mcg but if i decide to take it I would start with only a quarter for 8 weeks (6.25 mcg) just to bring the ft4 up a little while still on 75mg thyroid np (NDT). Im not sure which to choose since seems like my ft4 really doesnt respond to the np but Im afraid of synthroid. I took the generic levothyroxine when i first was diagnosed 5 years ago and thought i was dying til i found armour. Any suggestions or success stories with combining would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Synthroid and Thyroid NP

I know many people that have succesfully combined levothyroxine with NTH. You may have success with brand levoT and starting on a low dose sounds like a good idea. Just make sure you're not left on too low a dose for too long.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-30-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
    TerraT
    (female)

TerraT HB User

I asked for Levoxyl at first but my pharmacy couldn't get that one. All they had was levothyroxine and synthroid. So I took the synthroid because I had levo a long time ago and didn't do well at all. Is that ok? Im hoping just a low dose will be enough to bring the Ft4 up to where its suppose to be. Thank you!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I think Synthroid works for most, hopefully for you too.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User

Pardon me for the intrusion, but isn't Levothyroxine exactly the stuff that's in Synthroid and Levoxyl? I mean like taking "Tylenol or acetaminophen"?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
    TerraT
    (female)

TerraT HB User

Levothyroxine is the generic brand I believe, some do better on the name brands synthroid, unithroid, levoxyl. From what ive read their may be different fillers, binders in them if theyre from different manufacturers. I could be wrong though, ive read so much stuff lol

The Following User Says Thank You to TerraT For This Useful Post:
    light472 (03-31-2013)
    Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
    REAGAN1991
    (female)

REAGAN1991 HB User

ive only been diagnosed and they put me on levothyroxine on just 1 tab a day untill i get my dose right so i really couldnt give any advice on this although would advice to do what u feel is right because only u know ur body and what is working keeping in mind any side effects of meds. did levothyroxine not help u at all ?? i hope it works for me feel awful im 22 and feel 44 my feet are always sore, skin is dry so hard to sleep and constantly tired which u cant be with 2 young children. Didnt realise how bad having a thyroid problem is a bit scared about it all too be honest, my mum has rheumatard arthritis and im starting to wonder are they related, theres also history of celiac, scoliosis and pernicious anemia so im wondering is it hashimo i have. its all so much stress and worry.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
    TerraT
    (female)

TerraT HB User

No i didn't do well at all, it felt like I was overmedicated on it on just a small dose. I lost alot of weight, couldn't sleep, vision problems, tightness in my throat. Not to scare you some people do well on it. You just have to play around with the dose and that takes a while unfortunately. I feel for ya trust me I was there, you just have to read alot, learn and listen to your body. Good luck to you

Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REAGAN1991 View Post
    i hope it works for me feel awful im 22 and feel 44 my feet are always sore, skin is dry so hard to sleep and constantly tired which u cant be with 2 young children.
    I see you're from Northern Ireland so the med you're given may be from a different manufacturer. "Levothyroxine" means synthetic thyroxine which is the most used supplement for hypoT so it wouldn't be surprising if/when the bottle says the same thing but the contents are a bit different (due to those fillers etc.).

In the beginning of medication it often happens that those symptoms get worse before they start to get better so one needs to be patient. This is a separate issue from not being able to tolerate one brand but do well with another. What dose are you on now? How long have you been on it and when are you going to have your labs checked?

Sometimes it's not about the dose but the med itself so another brand may work better. (Here in Finland we only have 1 brand and if you're very lactose intolerant or don't eat gelatin for religious or ethical reasons you may get your doc to prescribe you imported lactose and gelatin free brand - but in theory this one brand should suit all ).

Hang in there

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-31-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
    REAGAN1991
    (female)

REAGAN1991 HB User

hi there, thanks for the infoon meds, i am on just 1 a day have to get bloods done again in 6 weeks. all i know is my tsh and t3 or 4 (not sure) were both really high something like 99 and 26. iv been on 1 tab 4 7 days now and starting to feel better. hopefully it works.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    all i know is my tsh and t3 or 4 (not sure) were both really high something like 99 and 26. iv been on 1 tab 4 7 days now and starting to feel better. hopefully it works.
    With hypoT TSH is typically high but FT4 (and FT3) low. If your FT4 is really high then you'd be hyperT. I believe you have the right to get a copy of your results - it is good to keep up with those results and learn how to intrepret them - we can't always be sure our docs give us the best treatment.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
    REAGAN1991
    (female)

REAGAN1991 HB User
    Wink Re: Synthroid and Thyroid NP

thanks for ur help im defo going to ask 4 a copy of my results so if my t4 or t3 is high cud it be hashimo's?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    so if my t4 or t3 is high cud it be hashimo's?
    Hashimoto's is the most common cause for hypothyroidism (= thyroid hormones T4 and T3 drop and TSH rises). One can have hyperT phases (= thyroid hormones rise and TSH drops) with Hashi's too but autoimmune hyperthyroidism is usually called Graves (or Basedow). I don't think your doc would've prescribed you levothyroxine if you were hyperT (although we've seen it happen).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Closed Thread