It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Switched from Armour to Synthroid & Cytomel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
    JanD
    (female)

JanD HB User
    Switched from Armour to Synthroid & Cytomel

I was on Armour..first 120 mg then raised to 150 mg. My primary doctor could not seem to regulate my thyroid so he suggested I see an endo. New endo reviewed my last numbers and decided to put me on 100 mg synthroid and 5 mg cytomel. I have been on this for one week and I feel awful...tired all the time and even my breathing seems off. I had lots of blood drawn on Monday, still waiting for results, am scheduled for a thyroid ultrasound on Wednesday. I plan on calling the endo on Monday with my complaints but figured you have experience with what I am feeling...Thanks.
    Janice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: Switched from Armour to Synthroid & Cytomel

I've just run a quick search and found a chart that say 60mg of Armour seems roughly equivalent to 100mcg of Synthroid. At 150mg, you'd have to take around 250mcg of Synthroid (alone) if this conversion is accurate.

I doubt you can simply run the maths like that and end up with a 100% accurate dosage, but it would appear to me that your new dosage might be lower than what you were taking previously.

P.S. Just searched for the actual amount of T3/T4 in a grain of Armour, and 150mg contains about 95mcg of T4 and 22.5mcg of T3. Judging by this you'd be roughly on the same amount of T4, while getting only 1/4th of the T3 you used to take. Since T3 is about 4-5 times as potent as T4, that would set you back 87.5mcg of Synthroid or about 60mg or Armour. I'd say you might have symptoms because of that lowered dosage.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
    JanD
    (female)

JanD HB User

Light 472 thanks for your prompt reply. My endo thinks I was taking too much Armour and is trying this new dosage out. He took blood for testing hormones, thyroid, etc. I will dig out my previous blood work and post it.
    Janice

Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
    JanD
    (female)

JanD HB User

Just dug out my last blood results from 3/8/13:
    TSH 0.159L
    Thyroxine (T4) 3.2L
    T3 Uptake 27
    Free Thyroxine Index 0.9L
    Sedimentation rate-westergren 25
    Janice

Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User

Not a pro of dosage and Armour, but my understanding is that with people on dessicated thyroid, TSH doesn't mean anything anymore.

My first guess would have been to raise your dosage and see how that works since your T4 was still below range. Stop The Thyroid Madness suggests to simply keep raising dosage (sometimes to 5-6 grains, or double the 150mg you were taking) until you get rid of your symptoms, unless hyperT symptoms appear.

Other conditions could cause your resistance to treatment, like high reverse T3 I believe, but trying to raise your dosage and see if symptoms vanish would probably be simpler to start with to my understanding.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
    JanD
    (female)

JanD HB User

Light 472 thanks again. I guess I just have to wait for my blood results next week. Will keep you posted.
    Janice

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

You really should get FreeT4 and freeT3 tested, that outdated set of tests you had taken is pretty useless (although getting below the range results definitely points towards undertreatment).

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
    JanD
    (female)

JanD HB User

FinnMaid...I think that is what this new blood test is for. All the testing necessary to get to the bottom of my situation. My primary doctor was right in sending me to an endo....I am certain he is doing ALL the right tests...I am just impatient and want to have more energy immediately. LOL
    Janice

Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree that you're very likely feeling awful from the drastic dose reduction you've taken.

Your previous 150 mgs of Armour is the rough equivalent of 185 mcgs of a T4-only med like Synthroid. Your new combo of meds is the rough equivalent of just 120 mcgs of T4 med. Your body has taken a 65 mcg hit! IMO, you may not feel much energy for a while... Not until you recover from such a sudden, drastic dose reduction and find the optimal one to replace it.

Just as an aside... Don't be so certain an endo knows the right tests to run or how to interpret them. As a group, they specialize mostly in diabetes and don't bother to extend their thyroid knowledge past Endocrinology 101 in med school.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-30-2013 at 09:36 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    light472 (03-30-2013)
    Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
    JanD
    (female)

JanD HB User

Midwest thanks for your prompt reply. Makes lots of sense.
    Janice

Closed Thread