It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• hypothyroidism and fungal nail infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
    REAGAN1991
    (female)

REAGAN1991 HB User
    hypothyroidism and fungal nail infection

hi iv just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism i was showing classic symthoms such as hair loss,dry skin,depressed,sore muscles, pain in the balls of my feet, increased sweating.
    i am just curious because ive had continuous toenail infections for past few years id go to the doctor get treated but it would just come back could it be related?

also ive had strange tingling pains in my back this only happend few times but was extremly painful worse when breathing it only lasted short period but the same sharp quick pain as a contraction, a sort of tingling but really sore.
    Has anyone else experienced anything similar??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: hypothyroidism and fungal nail infection

I was recently diagnosed with hashimoto's (not receiving treatment yet) and I've been struggling with fungal infections for as long as I've had symptoms. I get athlete's foot all the time and also small spots on my chin, cheeks and scalp which always come back after being treated.

Not sure if there is a link, but in my case I'm suspecting there is.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
    REAGAN1991
    (female)

REAGAN1991 HB User
    Smile Re: hypothyroidism and fungal nail infection

Quote:
    Originally Posted by light472 View Post
    I was recently diagnosed with hashimoto's (not receiving treatment yet) and I've been struggling with fungal infections for as long as I've had symptoms. I get athlete's foot all the time and also small spots on my chin, cheeks and scalp which always come back after being treated.

Not sure if there is a link, but in my case I'm suspecting there is.
    there must be i get spots on my chin too. im diagnosed as having hypothyroidism but i believe its hashimo's simply because of my family history with my mum having reumathoid arthritis and aunts having pernicious anemia and uncle scoliosis and sister had celiac as a baby and as far as i know this can be connected to hashimo's. do u know whats the difference and are the medication given the same?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: hypothyroidism and fungal nail infection

Hashimoto’s is basically a cause of hypoT. It means your immune system is turning against your own thyroid. It is often seen with other autoimmune disease such as pernicious anemia and celiac I believe.

In the end, most people aren't treated for hashi per se so much as they end up being treated for the hypoT it causes.

Closed Thread