It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help with my thyroid test results please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User
    Help with my thyroid test results please!

I have been for the past couple of years insisting to my doctor that something is wrong with my thyroid/metabolism. He checked my TSH and it came back in "normal" range and that was the end of that. I got an appointment with an endocrinologist on Tuesday finally and had what I think may be a better bloodwork test. I go back this Tuesday for results and am hoping some of you can help me with what to ask/say to doctor to get help with this problem. Besides weight issues, I have been losing my hair, lethargic/tired and in general been feeling not well lately. My results are below:
    TSH3G-4.34 (normal range .36-3.74)
    FT4- .78 (normal range .76-1.46)
    TRIF 2.55 (no normal range given)--I think this is Free T3 as that was tested??
    Waiting for antibodies test to come back....still in pending status. Any and all help deciphering/advice on what to say to doc would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User
    Re: Help with my thyroid test results please!

I also (forgot to add).....that I repeatedly come back with a low vitamin D level....this time it was 16.2 (30-100 range).
    Cholestrol, LDL, and chol/LDL are all very high despite eating as clean as possible the past six months. Not sure if that helps but it seems other people have those problems too.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User

What I'm reading is a pretty classical presentation of hypothyroidism.

Your TSH is high, meaning your body is asking your thyroid to work harder, and yet your Free T4 sits at the very bottom of the normal range. Your symptoms are very classical, and low vitamin D and high cholesterol are also very common with hypoT.

I'd say there is little to actually ask your endo about, and you would most probably benefit from hormone treatment from what I am reading.

Edit: Actually, there is one thing I'd suggest, and that is to not let your doctor have you walk out of his office saying you're fine because your FT4 is within range. The first 2 doctors I saw did exactly that.

Last edited by light472; 03-30-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User

Thank you for your response! I know maybe two years ago my TSH was slightly elevated but my MD said "you don't want to start taking medication for thyroid--we will check it in six months-never giving me another script for a year and only checking TSH. I believe my vitamin D was at a 13 at the time as well. Cholestrol etc was very high then as it is now. I am just worried they will say my numbers are not high enough again...I was really hoping it may help with how I have been feeling.

The following user gives a hug of support to JCLRY:
    light472 (03-31-2013)
    Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
    teddybearhugs
    (female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCLRY View Post
    I have been for the past couple of years insisting to my doctor that something is wrong with my thyroid/metabolism. He checked my TSH and it came back in "normal" range and that was the end of that. I got an appointment with an endocrinologist on Tuesday finally and had what I think may be a better bloodwork test. I go back this Tuesday for results and am hoping some of you can help me with what to ask/say to doctor to get help with this problem. Besides weight issues, I have been losing my hair, lethargic/tired and in general been feeling not well lately. My results are below:
    TSH3G-4.34 (normal range .36-3.74)
    FT4- .78 (normal range .76-1.46)
    TRIF 2.55 (no normal range given)--I think this is Free T3 as that was tested??
    Waiting for antibodies test to come back....still in pending status. Any and all help deciphering/advice on what to say to doc would be appreciated.
    Hello,
    Your TSH level is defo pointing to an underactive thyroid. I had a hemithyroidectomy (half my thyroid removed) back in 2005, and was refused thyroxine and told that, half a thyroid would work adequately as well as a whole one.... I had every symptom in the book of an underactive thyroid... yet every blood test I had came back normal, and no-one would listen to me... eventually, I saw a different doctor, and finally I was told yes, I did have an underactive thyroid, my cholestrol was raised excessively, Vit D deficeincy too, so I can relate to you, I have been on 50mcg of Levothyroxine now, for just over 2 years, it took a fair while to really start working, and I missed 2 doses, a few months back and was dragging myself around, so know I definately need it. My Mother has a thyroid problem, where it fluctuates, and her GP tried her on 25mcg of Levothyroxine, which seems to be settling things, and her reading was just under yours, so I would not let your Doctor, tell you nothing is wrong. Good Luck, and let us know how you get on.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by light472 View Post
    Edit: Actually, there is one thing I'd suggest, and that is to not let your doctor have you walk out of his office saying you're fine because your FT4 is within range. The first 2 doctors I saw did exactly that.
    I'd agree with this. Offhand, one of the things that comes up in my job is determining cutoffs for pass fail tests. Believe me, ranges are just numbers. And whether a test is barely on one side or the other of a range isn't meaningful. Yet people tend to become very attached to ranges and think 397 means 'oh my god something is wrong' because it's below the cutoff of 400. And 402 means 'everything A-okay'.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User

Hello.....Thank you both for responding! I was started on synthroid 50mcg....just a week today that I have been taking. I can't say I feel any "real difference" yet....but I have been told it takes a couple weeks and often meds have to be adjusted. I have to re-do bloodwork in 6 weeks...hoping this really helps me!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Good luck, hopefully that's it and you'll feel better.

Closed Thread