It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Lab results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
    HelpMePlzz
    (female)

HelpMePlzz HB User
    Question Lab results

I had been diagnosed with Hashi's and put on 50 mcg Levothyroxine. I was told to stop taking the Levithyroxine immediately, I am assuimg it is because of the Antibodies. Under the current lab results is the first labs I had done.

Current Lab Results
    TSH 0.1
    T4, Free 1.4 - Range 0.8-1.8
    T3, Free 4.0 - Range 2.3-4.2
    T3 Uptake 28 - Range 22-35 %
    T4, Total 11.2 - Range 4.5-12.0
    Free T4 Index 3.1 - Range 1.4 - 3.8
    Thyroglobulin Antibodies 43 H - Range <20

Thyroglobulin Panel with
    Hama treatment
    Thyroglobulin Antibodies 33 H - Range <20
    Thyroglobulin, Hama
    treated 17.5 - Range 2.0-35.0
    Thyroglobulin, untreated 15.4 - Range 2.0-35.0

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 657 H - Range <35
    TSI 40 - Range <140

First Lab Results

TSH: 1.1
    T4, Free 1.0 range .8 - 1.8
    T3, Free 3.2 range 2.3 - 4.2
    Thyroid Panel
    T3 uptake 25 range 22 - 35%
    T4, Total 7.5 range 4.5 - 12.0 mcg/dL
    Free T4 Index (T7) 1.9 range 1.4 - 3.8
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 186 H range <35 IU/mL
    TSI 46 range <140 % baseline

After looking at the two, what exactly is goin on with my thyroid? I am going to have another ultrasound done. The first one done the endo discovered a nodule approximately 2.62 cm on the right lobe. What are the chances of this nodule being bigger or having any change at all? I just don't understand what is going on because I was feeling pretty good while on the meds and now I am back to not sleeping, feeling like ansolute CRAP, irritable, and more. Help because I just don't understand

Last edited by HelpMePlzz; 03-31-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: Lab results

My guess is he stopped the medication either because of your suppressed TSH or because of your high antibodies, but as far as I know antibodies vary from many factors and medication should lower it.

My biggest problem with what you said is that you were feeling fine on medication and are feeling bad now that you stopped (I'm assuming you had the same symptoms before treatment began? Otherwise I don't really know why you'd start taking them in the first place).

If you were feeling better on levothyroxine, I say you'd benefit from keeping it. Discuss with your doctor why he decided to stop the levo, if it's just because of lab values try getting back on treatment or otherwise get a second opinion. At least it's what I'd do.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

By the way, about your results...

The important part is your antibodies which say your thyroid is under attack from your immune system. Along with that, your FT4 was at the bottom of the range.

One problem is that your TSH was always low, which could suggest pituitary gland issues or that you are simply at the bottom of the bell curve. I've also read many doctors saying TSH can be perfectly fine or even low in some patients despite "hypothyroidism", so it could simply be that.

Now if your TSH is normally low, it should be normal that your TSH be almost suppressed when your T4 and your T3 went up. If you were suffering from hypo symptoms on your first lab tests and felt fine with the second, I'd look no further and seek treatment to see how you feel with those values at least for a while, raising dosage if symptoms come back.

Maybe others have a better idea of what those results could mean though, as I do find them a little unconventional.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
    HelpMePlzz
    (female)

HelpMePlzz HB User

Before I was on the medication I felt horrible, the sypmtoms I listed earlier and more. My primary said all my symptoms pointed towards the thyroid so I was sent to the endo; she wanted to do the "wait and see" but my primary started medication. I felt so much better afterwards. I really didn't feel bad for the first couple days after stopping and then all of a sudden it hit like a ton of bricks and now I would rather lay in the bed and do nothing and I am starting to get headaches again. I hate this feeling and I can't go back to taking the meds because I don't have any refills.

She told me the reason she wanted me to stop the levo was because the results were pointing towards hyperT. Should I bring up the pituitary gland possibility? Somebody else told me that when the TSH is suppresed the antibodies stay quiet and that is quite the opposite with my results.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Both your Free T3 and Free T4 were within normal range, so I'd say it was a mistake from your doctor to have you stop medication based solely on TSH, especially if you had no hyperT symptoms. It's just stupid to treat lab results and not the patient himself. If it weren't for that piece of paper, you'd have told her you felt much better and that would've been it! And EVEN THEN you had normal FT3/FT4, so you could hardly qualify has hyper from my understanding of those results.

I am still curious to know if others here have seen such low TSH values with hashimoto's ( especially the pre-treatment one), but I know it's definitely possible to feel fine on medication only when TSH drops close to zero.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
    HelpMePlzz
    (female)

HelpMePlzz HB User

Okay, new results are in and are as follows.

TSH 0.04
    T4, Free 1.1 - Range 0.8-1.8
    T3, Free 4.4 - Range 2.3-4.2
    T3 Uptake 29 - Range 22-35 %
    T4, Total 9.7 - Range 4.5-12.0
    Free T4 Index 2.8 - Range 1.4 - 3.8
    Thyroglobulin Antibodies 37 H - Range <20

Thyroglobulin Panel with
    Hama treatment
    Thyroglobulin Antibodies 37 H - Range <20
    Thyroglobulin, Hama
    treated 16.7 - Range 2.0-35.0
    Thyroglobulin, untreated 12.7 - Range 2.0-35.0

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 622 H - Range <35
    TSI 52 - Range <140

My doctor is very concerned about a thyroid storm. Do my levels indicate this is possible? Anymore insight since the new results?

Closed Thread