It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Update to help with my results please-714 antibodies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User
    Update to help with my results please-714 antibodies

I posted the other day and someone was nice enough to respond. I have not been feeling well and have finally gotten a good bloodwork done (I think). I was waiting on an antibodies test....I will repeat the original numbers I put on first post along with antibodies.
    TSH3G 4.34 (normal range .36 to 3.74)
    FT4 0.78 (normal range .76 to 1.46)
    TRIF 2.55 (guessing this Is T3...no normal range given)
    Thyroid Peroxidase AB 714 (reference range <35)

I have a follow up with endocrinologist tomorrow and hoping these numbers are enough to get me some medication and that they don't try sending me away saying not high enough....
    And my cholestrols are all very high (mostly double the top of range despite eating as clean as possible last six months).
    Vitamin D is 16.2 (normal range 30-100).
    I have no idea what antibodies are/very new to this although have been thinking for past couple of years something is wrong. Any advice to say to doc if no meds given would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: Update to help with my results please-714 antibodies

Thyroid Peroxidase (or TPO) is an enzyme used by your thyroid to produce your thyroid hormone (T4 and T3). Thyroid Peroxidase AntiBodies (or Anti-TPO) is an antibody from your immune system that targets TPO and prevents your thyroid from producing the required hormones.

This is called Hashimoto's Disease, and if the cause for the majority of hypothyroidism in westernized countries.

With your numbers and your "positive" test for antibodies, I believe most doctors should agree start treatment. If your endo refuses to treat you, I would personally tell him that I'd really want to at least give it a try and see if my symptoms get better, and if he insists that you wait until your numbers are even more out of whack, then it's up to you to decide if you want to wait it out or get a second opinion.

Maybe others have tricks or questions to ask your doctor, but I have to say I have quite a bit of trouble discussing with their kind... most doctors I've met have a severe case of "I am the DOCTOR and you are the PATIENT, how could you know anything?"

For now I'll just wish you good luck with your appointment and wait for some news from you!

The Following User Says Thank You to light472 For This Useful Post:
    JCLRY (04-01-2013)
    Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User

Geez...obviously I can't figure out this message board either lol...I want to thank you for responding twice! I didn't know if you would go back to original post so figured it would be better to start another! I am nervous about appointment tomorrow....tired of being brushed off as I am sure many of you are as well. I want to thank you for putting it In easy to understand context...when you are not familiar with something (especially medical) it can be daunting....I was really surprised my number seems really high for the antibody part of test, hoping it's enough with how I have been feeling. I will post after work and appointment tomorrow! Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User

I hope you come back on here...I said I would post after doctors. The doctor was extremely nice....I decided to write down things that have been bothering me (how I have been feeling)....I handed to her and she read. I find that avoids me forgetting or not saying something I meant to say. She went over my results/asked a few questions and said Hashimotos. She put me on 50,000 units of Vit D for six weeks (once a week prescription) and started me on 50 mcg synthroid (one time a day). She said they normally don't start synthroid until TSH is 5 but with high antibodies and how crappy I have been feeling I need to start now. After leaving I realized how little I know about all of this and no discussions on if I should avoid any foods etc or anything else to avoid while taking this....guess I will have to research myself. I have to do a follow up bloodwork in six weeks which is for TSH, comprehensive Metabolic Panel, and Vit D? No follow up free T3 or T4? Or is this not needed?? Does this sound right? She seemed very thorough except for telling me any restrictions while taking meds. Thank you...I will be on here learning!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Far from a pro about medication myself, but I've read many times on this forum that the main restriction with thyroid medication is to take it alone. I believe dairy products and foods rich in iron should definitely not be taken close to your meds as they interfere with the absorption.

Synthroid slowly builds up in your body over a period as long as 8 weeks, so do give it a bit of time to "stabilize" and get it's full potency. This also means that missing a dose or taking it at the wrong time should have little negative effect (which is only true about T4 only meds, like synthroid)

The fact that your doctor only tests for TSH isn't that surprising, as most of them believe it the be the be-all-end-all test for thyroid. It should still be a good enough indicator on its own, try aiming for a value around 1 or 2, but mostly keep an eye on how you feel.

There are some pretty good books you can look for to help you get a better understanding too.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
    JCLRY
    (female)

JCLRY HB User

I am glad you checked back! Thanks for letting me know about what to avoid close to medications. I plan on looking for a book to help me....(something like thyroid for dummies would be a good start lol ). I was wondering if follow up bloodwork was enough without the free T's...everyone on here says how important those numbers are....I will push for those as well...I am hoping that I will start feeling even a little better in the next couple months. Do you have hashimotos as well?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

I was diagnosed with hashimoto's, though my doctor refused to run the antibodies test XD

Basically, I'm hypothyroid, but chances are in western countries that anyone hypo is from hashimoto's. There's still a 10% chance or so that I'm so other kind of hypoT :P

Closed Thread