It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Nature thyroid dose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User
    Nature thyroid dose

Hey all,

this is my first post on this board. I'm glad that I was able to find this board as there are a lot of knowledgeable people as well as information.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in April of 2012. I was feeling awful. I believe my TSH was at 13. Anyways I got on synthroid 50 mcg/ day which eventually moved up to 88 mcg/day. I never felt 100% back to normal, however. I had a lingering brain fog, memory issues, little energy. I had to do something quickly.

Anyways I started on naturethroid on February 25, 2013 at 1 grain/day. It was working great and after two weeks, I started feeling hypo symptoms so as I read online, I increaded the dose by 1/2 grain to 1.5 grains. Two weeks after that I increased it to 2 grains/day which is what I am currently on.

One source says to keep increasing your dose by 1/2 a grain until your symptoms are relieved. Most people need about 2-3 grains for this to happen (I'm on 2 grains currently). I just saw my endo today, who prescribed me naturethroid and I will be getting BW soon to check my levels. He wants to go by the numbers, not the symptoms.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on naturethroid and desiccated thyroid treatment. What has worked for you and what hasn't? Thanks and any input would be appreciated.

How do you guys know when to increase your dose?

Last edited by moderator2; 04-02-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: Nature thyroid dose

Depends... do you want to feel good and be healthy or have nice values on a piece of paper? In my opinion, doctors should use lab tests as a tool to make their patients feel better, not use the patient's symptoms to help him get better lab results.

On dessicated thyroid, TSH is meaningless from what I've read. On most if not all people it'll be very low if not completely suppressed at a person's optimal dosage. If your doctor tries to adjust your dosage judging by TSH, you'll probably have your dose lowered and lowered again.

I know some people go up to 5-6 grains or even higher until they feel better. Knowing how awful having hypo symptoms is, I'd probably get in pretty bad terms with my doctor if he told me to "stop feeling healthy again because the numbers are off".

Last edited by light472; 04-02-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

Thanks for the reply Light! I see, my dr was really stressing the TSH numbers for naturethroid. He even went as far as to say that if the TSH numbers are not in range (it is not because you need a higher NT dose) there is another reason issue that is stopping it from working.

I'll need to try and find a better doctor that is used to treating patients with desiccated thyroid meds in the maryland, virginia, or DC area. I plan on going to my pharmacy and asking the pharmacists which doctors commonly prescribe desiccated thyroid meds.

Whenever I increase my dose by 1/2 a grain, I feel good for 11-14 days and then the hypo symptoms come back. Is this because I'm not at the optimal dose? Should I keep increasing my NT every 2 weeks by 1/2 a grain until I find the dose?

As soon as I find the right dose that relieves my symptoms without having to increase it further, I'm going to stay on that dose and find a Dr that is fine with prescribing me NT at that dose.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lakeshow24 View Post
    Whenever I increase my dose by 1/2 a grain, I feel good for 11-14 days and then the hypo symptoms come back. Is this because I'm not at the optimal dose? Should I keep increasing my NT every 2 weeks by 1/2 a grain until I find the dose?
    Others are more knowledgeable about NT, but my understanding is that when you increase your dosage, you'll get a peak of thyroid hormone, but after that your body may begin producing less thyroid hormones, which is why the dosage "works" for a while before becoming insufficient. Still you should end up with your optimal dosage based on your symptoms I believe.

It could be good to know that T4 can build up in the body for up to 6-8 weeks though. That means that if you stay at the same dose for 6 weeks, you'd have more hormones in your blood at that point than when your started taking it. What I'm trying to say is if you're raising your dosage every week or two, you could get to a point where you'll think you have the right dosage but start feeling hyper after a few weeks. You'd be just a little over the right dosage then. If you find a dosage where you feel fine and can keep it for 6-8 weeks, then you'd really have your optimal dosage at that time.

As I've said others could confirm or speak from experience, but this is what I understand from the things I read.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

Ok then that is what I'll do. If I feel I need to increase it once more I'll do it and then wait it out. If I took synthroid for 10 months previous to the NT, shouldn't my t4 already have built up. From what I heard, it seems that when you increase the dose of desiccated thyroids your tsh will indicate that you are hyper but in reality, you're not due to symptom relief. I hope I can find the perfect dose soon.

Would it hurt to lower my dose to make sure I didn't miss the correct dose?

Last edited by lakeshow24; 04-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User
    Smile Re: Nature thyroid dose

Also is there a sure fire way to tell whether you need to increase your dose vs decreasing your dose (certain symptoms that apply to each)? Or which numbers will tell the story on labs?

I'd love to hear other people's opinions on desiccated thyroid meds or if you just want to join the discussion feel free guys!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Someone else will need to come the the rescue here.

The usual symptoms over getting too high of a dose are anxiety, shakiness, feeling hot/can't stand heat, sweating, rapid heart beat, panics.... basically the opposite of the regular hypoT sluggishness and fatigue.

Where I can't help you is how fast you should be raising your dosage to find out the sweet spot. This is only an educated guess, but I would personally continue what your were doing and raise my dosage every time symptoms come back (always giving it a few days at least). Unless hperT symptoms occur, I wouldn't worry about it. I just wanted to warn you that raising quickly could make you feel hyper at some point.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Actually, I just verified about dosage, raising 1/2 grain every two weeks until symptoms disappear, so you were right on target! Guess I was a bit wrong about going too fast...

In a nutshell, raise until no symptoms, TSH should be suppressed (near zero) and aim for top-of-normal-range Free T3.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-02-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Closed Thread