It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• gastric ulcers and thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
    lisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
    gastric ulcers and thyroid?

Hi everybody,

As some of you know my belly has been pretty messed up already. Anyway lately I had some severe stomach cramps. Long story short a gastroscopy showed my stomach is full (literally) of gastric ulcers. Today I received the results and I don't have Helicobacter nor stomach cancer (thank goodness). Have been some tense and uncertain days.

Anyway my question is, does anybody know of a relation between stomach ulcers and thyroid problems. I can be wrong but feel like somehow there is a connection. since my thyroid problems started I always seem to have some kind of gastrointestinal problems (my belly never has been normal since then). now it's bloated like I'm 6 months pregnant, cramping, terrible cramps, ... and now the ulcers on top of it. I have trouble believing this is a coincidence.

Other then that, any suggestion on what could help? I got something from the primary doctor for the gastric acid but so far it's not giving any relief whatsoever (been taking it for over a week now). Any suggestions are more then appreciated, because this is painful.

thank you in advance and have a great day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: gastric ulcers and thyroid?

Hi Lisa. I'm so sorry you're in such distress. It sounds awful.

I know that hypoT is often associated with low stomach acid production (hypogastrinemia). I've been digging around a little, looking for an association between low acid and ulcers; but the search is taking me around in circles. I did find one study that concluded that 10% of thyroid patients - both hyper and hypo - have excess stomach acid (hypergastrinemia). Do you know anything about your gastrin level, whether it's low, high, or normal?

Then I found something on the subject of autoimmune gastritis and atrophic gastritis, without h. Pylori (I think). Has that been explored? Maybe you've been saddled with yet another AI disorder.

Anyway, I did find this article explaining thyroid's association with the gut ~
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351569
    It's not much, but maybe it will lead you in a more productive direction to figure out your trouble.

Hoping you will be well soon!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
    lisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
    Re: gastric ulcers and thyroid?

Hi Midwest,

Thank you for your help.

I don't know all that much about the gastric ulcers materia :-) My GP did explain to me that they are caused by too much gastric acid. Since it's very acidic (is that even a word) too much causes wounds in the stomach, being gastric ulcers. So although I don't know any exact results in that regard, keeping that in mind I'd assume it's too much.

the H. Pylori has been explored and I'm not 100% sure since my GP did use another word (or I understood something different - very possible too) but I asusme the gastritis has been explored too and negative.

Closed Thread