It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Lab results...low tsh, t4 and Free t4 while on Cytomel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
    FireplaceNut
    (female)

FireplaceNut HB User
    Lab results...low tsh, t4 and Free t4 while on Cytomel

Hi guys My doc's office seems very concerned with my recent lab results.

T3 uptake 24 (22-35)

T4 (thyroxine) total free T4 index greater than 0.7 (4.5-12.0)

T4 free .3 (.8-1.8)

On 50 mcg of Cytomel only. Feel great. I can actually lose weight. Used to have goiter... not anymore. They want me to repeat labs right away. Should I be worried?

Any info. would be highly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Lab results...low tsh, t4 and Free t4 while on Cytomel

Hi there,
    I am only going to take a stab at this as I have not done T3 only. I think you possibly need to introduce T4 meds due to low T4 labs. The TSH to the best of my knowledge becomes pretty much irrelevant once t3 is introduced due to effectively total suppression, I would not be too worried about the TSH at this point. If you introduce T4 you may then need to reduce cytomel as you will or should convert T4 to FT3.

Your FT4 is a concern because it is very low which is why you may need it.

In my own experience, when I went from thyroxine to dessicated thyroid meds which is a combi of T4/T3, I did feel great for a while, but labs showed my T4 was lower than the optimal 60-80% range and my T3 was climbing. (I had reverse T3 probs on thyroxine so needed to change) when my T3 went to high (above 100%) of the range, I went from feeling more energetic to feeling irratic, racy, anxious etc. my heart rate increased also though BP was still ok. Sleeping at night became harder because my mind would not ease up.

While you feel great now, be wary of your symptoms, keep a close eye on your heart rate and emotions and tell your doc if they are increasing, it could be a sign that T3 is getting too high. Also, when T4 is low and T3 is high (frees) it is a battle between hyper and hypo and can become difficult to deal with symptom wise.

Hope this helps some, but do retest and do not take meds before testing as this skews the results,then see where you are at and have a good talk with the doc to see where to go from there. All the best

Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
    FireplaceNut
    (female)

FireplaceNut HB User

Thanks surfing I thought about asking him for Synthyroid to go along with Cytomel. Maybe he'll cut my Cytomel by 1/2 and add Synthyroid.

I just hope I can still lose weight then.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Hey there, just to say, do not beat yourself up over the weight...when you get your frees balanced out it should help the metabolism to stabilise which will then aid that aspect, concentrate on getting to a good place first! Al the best

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    FireplaceNut (04-11-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    low tsh free t4 cytomel