It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Malabsorption?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
    elissam1974
    (female)

elissam1974 HB User
    Question Malabsorption?

I could use an opinion on this please.

I had a partial thyroidectomy in 2000 due to a suspicious nodule. I was diagnosed with a Follicular Adenoma and subsequently became hypothyroid due to the surgery. My thyroid function has been hit or miss for years now and I have also developed some nutritional deficiencies. Here is my lab work:

TSH: (1/12) 4.09, (synthroid increase) (2/12) 2.19, (synthroid increase) (4/12) 1.02, (12/12) 1.68, (4/13) 2.21

Free T4 (1/12) 1.19, (2/12) 1.3, (4/12) 1.25, (4/12) 1.3

Total T3 (4/12) 2.6

B-12 (4/11) 141, (OTC B-Complex added), (6/11) 277, (11/11) 324, (2/12) 281, (began 1,000 mcg B-12 injections) (12/12) 581, (4/13) 360

Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy (6/11) 35, (OTC D added), (5/12) 29, (50,000 mcg Vitamin D added) (12/12) 18.9, (4/13) 24.8

I also just had a thyroid ultrasound which shows no nodules or cysts. the remaining lobe is of normal size (although it measures 1 cm bigger than 2 years ago) and appears to be healthy.

I know it's a lot of information. Historically, when my TSH goes up and my synthroid levels are increased, my TSH goes down initially but then starts to creep back up. The endocrinologist thinks that I am not properly absorbing my Synthroid. She is basing this on the fact that I continue to not really absorb the mega-doses of vitamins I'm taking. She has again increased my B-12 (1,000 mcg every 3 weeks instead of every 4) and Vitamin D (50,000 Iu every 5 days instead of every 7) with followup blood work on everything in another 6 weeks. She has suggested that I need to see a GI for malabsorption.

Any suggestions/opinions are wlecome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Malabsorption?

Hi elissam,

It is hard to comment on your labs without the lab ranges and I also cannot comment on nodules as while I have them they are small and not an issue.

The only comment I can make is on the absorption as I have had some difficulties with this.

Low stomach acid can disrupt absorption so if you have this issue increasing stomach acid can help. Fresh lemon squeezed in tepid/warm water can assist stomach acid improving the ph and absorption.
    Taking a chewable vit c tablet before meals can also help with this (if you are in need of vit c)

Using liquid forms of supplements can be useful as they are easier to absorb also. Including iron but take it through a straw as it can blacken the teeth! That is if you need iron. I now have to have injections along with tablets to keep my levels up as I do not absorb iron and use it up incredibly fast!

With Vitimin D doses are these prescribed or OTC, I ask because prescription vit D is generally D2 and not easily absorbed, Vitimin D3 is both cheaper and far better st raising levels. It was OTC in nov. so hopefully it still is.

Your free T4 still look a little low but hard to tell without lab ranges, your TSH is still above what it should be i am guessing for someone on meds and this can also affect the cells ability to absorb. Ideally it should be around 1. Total T3 is hard to judge free is better as shows what is available for absorption.

But most importantly stomach acid can and does play a big part in absorption, these are simple methods above to improve it but may not necessarily be right for you, so do your research, perhaps a simple approach will help or further investigation with a GI as your doc suggested, leaky gut syndrome is common and reducing eliminating gluten can also help but always take advice on this and know you are making the right decisions for you. All the best. Surfer

Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
    Stumbo
    (male)

Stumbo HB User

I take Solgar 32K liquid OTC B12 daily (keep under tongue for 30 secs) . Even though my level was not low (545), I found that raising it to 1100 (top of scale) relieved many symptoms of irritability, short term memory problems, anxiety, nail biting/hair pulling. My levels now are around 800.

I take liquid 4k units of D3 daily. My level is 37 (up from 23). My level did go up to 67 a couple of summers ago but at that time I spent many hours per week in the sun. Now I need to start sitting outside most days for 15 to 30 minutes.

No doctor can tell you what your optimal levels of any medication/supplements are. Even for my Synthroid, which was .150 for a couple of years. I was still feeling fatigued and after fixing my sleep and exercise, asked the doc to raise my dosage to 175 to see if it would help. It did. Now I'm on .175 every other day and 187.50 (125+1/2 of 125) in between. I also take 5 gr. of T3 daily as well.

Good luck with your treatments. Always ask questions, get copies of lab work (ask the nurse) at the beginning of appointment so you can take notes on it. Record BP and weight each time.

Don't wait to ask for an increase of Synthroid (or whatever you're prescribed). As long as you're not in the Hypothyroid levels you're okay. Even if you go a little hypo, have the doc titrate you down slowly so you can keep your energy up.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stumbo; 04-10-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Make sure you're taking the Synthroid at least 4-6 hours apart from any calcium, iron, estrogen meds, or soy foods. If you're already doing that, and there's still some doubt about Synthroid absorption, consider switching to Tirosint levothyroxine. It's a liquid T4 encased in a gel capsule, which should improve absorption.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
    elissam1974
    (female)

elissam1974 HB User

Thanks for the input.

Here are my reference ranges:

Vitamin D 30.0-100.0 I am taking prescription D2.

B12 211-946 Technically, I'm within range. But, the doctor thought I should be closer to 800.

Free T4 0.82-1.77

TSH 0.45-4.50 I know that my TSH looks "in range". But, post surgery, I was told that my TSH should always be between 1.0 and 2.0. Prior to my thyroidectomy, my TSH was 0.8.

Have an appointment with the GI in the next 2 weeks.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
    elissam1974
    (female)

elissam1974 HB User

Thanks for the input.

Here are my reference ranges:

Vitamin D 30.0-100.0 I am taking prescription D2.

B12 211-946 Technically, I'm within range. But, the doctor thought I should be closer to 800.

Free T4 0.82-1.77

TSH 0.45-4.50 I know that my TSH looks "in range". But, post surgery, I was told that my TSH should always be between 1.0 and 2.0. Prior to my thyroidectomy, my TSH was 0.8.

Have an appointment with the GI in the next 2 weeks.

I always take my synthroid first thing in the AM. on an empty stomach. Any other supplements are taken either after lunch or before bed. I'll inquire about changing thyroid meds to increase absorption.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

FYI, I have seen on this board instances where prescription D2 failed to do anything for D deficiency. Those people remedied their problem by taking over-the-counter D3, which is the form of the vitamin more readily used by the body.

Closed Thread

Tags
    b-12 deficiency, malabsorption, thyroid, tsh, vitamin d deficiency