It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Could I benefit from T3?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
    iCeNN
    (male)

iCeNN HB User
    Could I benefit from T3?

Ok I'll try to keep it short(if that's possible). For about two years (since July 2011) my life has not been the same. I had stopped a psychiatric med that was helping with anxiety (Abilify) months prior to what happened in July, and had started to relapse due to severe anxiety and stress(from college, and work). In July an incredibly unpleasant and painful internal psychological conflict stirred up in me, which caused me the worst emotional pain and agony I have ever endured. I felt like I had gone mentally insane. And that's when my crisis began.

My symptoms from that point on were SOME of the following: Frightening anxiety(that I had never faced before;I've had anxiety as a kid my whole life), severe mental confusion, brain fog, impaired cognitive function and memory, inability to concentrate(which got better, I'll get to that later), extreme irritability, nonexistent mental/physical energy, fatigue, inability to withstand cold(which got better, I'll get to that too) and mood swings to name a few. I got back on the Abilify med I was on plus an antidepressant a couple months after July. My anxiety was reduced slightly from the Abilify(the AD didn't do much) andI started feeling better but my life was still hell-ish. I still had all the symptoms, but some improved like handling cold and concentrating. But at that point I was no where near the old me.

I spent the better half of 2012 trying out different psychiatric medications thinking it was just a mental thing. I then started looking for answers online and came acoss low/high cortisol. So I got that checked and my cortisol was a bit high in the afternoon onward. Anyways I'll try to finish up. Fast forward til November of 2012, when I got on an antidepressant called Parnate which allowed me to get some of my mental energy back due it raising the main chemicals in the brain. PArnate also lowered my cortisol to within range. Even though Parnate made a big difference I still was/am not back to the old me.

I have fatigue, thinning hair, low appetite, muscle twitching, severe mental fog and confusion, plus anxiety that is actually worse than 2011.2012(but I'm on Abilify which reduces it somewhat), but I KNOW it's worse. And my hair started thinning right around the time I noticed that increase in anxiety. Those two symptoms were followed by the twitching and very low libido -btw my libido has always been really high(which got a little better after I manged to raise my Testosterone which has always been kind of low for my age) with Clomid and recently a n enlarged tongue (it definitely looks wider and thicker than before with teeth marks around the edges). Ok finally here's the important part. I was looking back at some lab work done in June 2011, a month before I hit my lowest point aTotal T3 was 79 (range 76-181). That sparked up alot of hope in me. Because I'm positive my Total T3 dropped further after because I go more ill after that. I'm waiting for the results of my thyroid panel which was done a few days ago, so I'll know soon how my thyroid is, and how low my Total T3 is. But I read about Low T3 Syndrome (google it), and how it can have hypo side effects. Do you guys think when/if my low T3 is confirmed I could benefit from Cytomel or similar med? Has anyone tried Cytomel sue to having low Total/Free T3? Thank you and sorry for huge post.

Last edited by iCeNN; 04-14-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Could I benefit from T3?

Sorry you are suffering so----I couldn't catch the detail, (paragraphs might help?) but I'm curious what your free t4 is?

Your free t3 is at the low end of the range, and if the free t4 is, you might have an easier time using a t4 med like synthroid (a doctor may be more open to a trial dose), which will covert over time into t3 and be easier on you.

Good luck with figuring it out---I hope you find a really great doctor that will work with you on it!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
    iCeNN
    (male)

iCeNN HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Sorry you are suffering so----I couldn't catch the detail, (paragraphs might help?) but I'm curious what your free t4 is?

Your free t3 is at the low end of the range, and if the free t4 is, you might have an easier time using a t4 med like synthroid (a doctor may be more open to a trial dose), which will covert over time into t3 and be easier on you.

Good luck with figuring it out---I hope you find a really great doctor that will work with you on it!
    Thank you for your reply. I had my Free T4 checked couple months ago, and it was 1.3 (range=0.8-1.8). Is 1.3 pretty good in your opinion or do you think it should be higher? Also I believe my thyroid has always checked out ok. But I believe I have the Euthyroid Syndrome, because my total T3 was so low last time in 2011. If it comes back low this time also, I'm going to see a doctor to hopefully take Cytomel to raise my Total T3. I can sense a hormonal imbalance in my body. The question is what is the culprit. I'm crossing my fingers it's Total T3. Anybody else have low Total T3. If so do you have hypothyroid symptoms?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
    iCeNN
    (male)

iCeNN HB User

Anyone here have information on Low T3 Syndrome/Euthyroid Sick Syndrome? If yo know anything at all I'd really appreciate it if you could shed some light onto this illness. Thanks.

Closed Thread