It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need thyroid test result help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
    dew73
    (female)

dew73 HB User
    Need thyroid test result help.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 10+ years ago and was put on Levothyroxine. I switched medical coverage including doctor last year and this new doctor determined that my thyroid test results were normal, that I needed no medication.

Date of results:
    6/6/2012
    My result: TSH 6.64 (Standard range: 0.35 - 4.00)
    T4 Free 1.18 (Standard range: 0.81 - 1.54)

Doctor said that because my TSH range was only slightly higher than average and my T4 range was normal that no action/medication was necessary...same goes for the next thyroid test.

7/28/2012
    My result: TSH 6.02
    T4 Free 1.1

In the past several months my hypothyroid symptoms have severely worsened. I've continued to gain weight despite improving my diet, my skin is drier and even more flakey, I'm more fatigued than ever and my muscles ache constantly, joints always sore, my restless legs syndrome seems is bothering me more than before and I'm incredibly emotional. (I've always had a sensitivity to the cold since I was 10.) So I had my thyroid tested again and these are the results.

4/12/2013
    My result: TSH 9.33
    T4 Free 1.0

I just received my results via on-line and have yet to hear from my doctor regarding my test results but I'm worried that she again is going to tell me that my thyroid is fine and no action/medication is necessary and I'm so tired of feeling this way everyday. Should I be medicated for Hypothyroidism? Also should I have been on medication based on earlier thyroid tests?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
    jw90
    (female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
    Re: Need thyroid test result help.

I keep my tsh at 1-2 that is the only way I feel good if it gets up to above 4..I feel awful tired with no energy hair gets dry and brittle and nails also..so i have a doctor who goes by symptoms that you have some people feel great at 4 but I don't and if mine were in the 9 range like yours are I would not be able to function

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dew73 View Post
    Should I be medicated for Hypothyroidism? Also should I have been on medication based on earlier thyroid tests?
    Yes you should. You've waited long enough and this doesn't seem to be improving (it rarely does) so if this doctor isn't willing to treat you I'd find another one (actually I think you need a more thyroid savvy doctor any case).

Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dew73;51609784/12/2013

My result: TSH 9.33
    T4 Free 1.0

I just received my results via on-line and have yet to hear from my doctor regarding my test results but I'm worried that she again is going to tell me that my thyroid is fine and no action/medication is necessary and I'm so tired of feeling this way everyday. Should I be medicated for Hypothyroidism? Also should I have been on medication based on earlier thyroid tests?
    If she does file a complaint with your state medical licensing board and get another doctor. Actually get another doctor anyways.

Closed Thread