It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• generic armour thyroid meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
    jw90
    (female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
    Question generic armour thyroid meds

Hi every one I have been on armour thyroid for 20 years and my insurance will only pay for generics so have always paid out of pocket for it..but they now have a generic on the market and would like to know if anyone has taken it yet.

I hate to switch and risk problems as the armour thyroid works so well..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: generic armour thyroid meds

Are you in the US? If so, it may be NP Thyroid manufactured by Acella that you're asking about. It's considered "generic" by my insurer.

Many, many former successful Armour users were left out in the cold by the reformulation that Forest made of Armour [I have forgotten when... Perhaps 2007 or '09?] I had successfully taken Armour for years until they mucked it up and it stopped working altogether for me. Then I switched to Nature-throid; they changed that formula in a way similar to Armour's, and I was back to square one and hypo again.

Long story short, I'm now taking NP and loving it. I feel really good on it. If you remember original Armour, it's very much like that. If you are like so many people who have trouble with the reduced potency of "new" Armour, you might find you'll need a slightly lower dose of NP than you do Armour. Maybe not. No one med works the same way for every patient. All you can do is give it a try. I hope you'll be as pleased as I've been.

If you're in Canada, the "generic" might be Erfa, which I've also used. I switched from it to NP without any trouble.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
    jw90
    (female)

Midwest1
    yes i do live in the US. and the Pharmacy that I use does carry a generic but will have to call and see what the brand is. I will find out and let you know and thank you so much for the quick response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
    jw90
    (female)

Midwest1
    will look up Nature throid and thanks again

Last edited by jw90; 04-13-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
    jw90
    (female)

Midwest1
    I called my pharmacy and they only carry the Ecella brand of armour thyroid maybe I can get them to order the nature throid will ask them. and thanks for the info.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
    tanatime
    (female)

tanatime HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Are you in the US? If so, it may be NP Thyroid manufactured by Acella that you're asking about. It's considered "generic" by my insurer.

Many, many former successful Armour users were left out in the cold by the reformulation that Forest made of Armour [I have forgotten when... Perhaps 2007 or '09?] I had successfully taken Armour for years until they mucked it up and it stopped working altogether for me. Then I switched to Nature-throid; they changed that formula in a way similar to Armour's, and I was back to square one and hypo again.

Long story short, I'm now taking NP and loving it. I feel really good on it. If you remember original Armour, it's very much like that. If you are like so many people who have trouble with the reduced potency of "new" Armour, you might find you'll need a slightly lower dose of NP than you do Armour. Maybe not. No one med works the same way for every patient. All you can do is give it a try. I hope you'll be as pleased as I've been.

If you're in Canada, the "generic" might be Erfa, which I've also used. I switched from it to NP without any trouble.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
    tanatime
    (female)

tanatime HB User

I noticed that you are in Missouri. Do you know of a good doctor for Thyroid issues that will prescribe Acella or Armour? I am in SW Missouri.

Closed Thread