It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• High TSH and High Free T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User
    High TSH and High Free T4

Just looking over some previous TSH results since I seem to be on TSH roller coaster each year. Found one from March of 2012 which showed the following:

TSH = 4.59 (range .30 to 4.20)
    FREE T4 = 20.9 (range 11 to 20)

I keep the occasional symptom journal, and looking back at that time I see that I was on .100 dosage of Synthroid and I had symptoms of poor sleep with plenty of bloating.

Can anyone provide insight into what the high TSH & high T4 mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: High TSH and High Free T4

If you took your Synthroid dose within 4-6 hours before the blood draw for the labs, it would explain the high free T4. For the most accurate FT4 reading, take your Synthroid after the blood draw.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    If you took your Synthroid dose within 4-6 hours before the blood draw for the labs, it would explain the high free T4. For the most accurate FT4 reading, take your Synthroid after the blood draw.
    Excellent point! My blood work result shows the sample collection was made at 1:37 pm.

Normally I never take meds on day of blood sample as I have the test in the morning & take my Synthroid right after. On this day I more than likely would have taken my meds in the morning due to it being an afternoon test.

Do you think that taking meds at 6:30am and then a blood test at 1:37pm could affect the FREE T4 result?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

According to an online thyroid textbook, T4 peaks 2 to 4 hours after an oral dose of levothyroxine and remains above normal for approximately 6 hours.
    It seems as if the timing between your med and your test was at the outside limit, but it still could have made an impact on your result. After all, the guideline says specifically, "remains above normal" for 6 hours. Unless you have another free T4 test with a result as high when you haven't taken your med, I wouldn't worry about it being high on this last one.

Closed Thread

Tags
    free t4, synthroid, tsh