It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Elevated WBC caused by Hypothyroidism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
    psh444
    (female)

psh444 HB User
    Elevated WBC caused by Hypothyroidism?

I'm 45 female, Back in Oct 2012 I was having chest pains but only at exertion. My lower body felt so heavy, I swore I was turning to stone. I just chalked it up to getting older and being overweight most of my adult life. Many tests later, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, Cardiac Syndrome X (I know it sounds odd) and Vitamin D deficiency.

I was given a nitrate for the heart, 2000IU Vitamin D and was told that no thyroid meds needed yet since my TSH was still normal. I continued to educate myself and came across information about Vitamin D deficiency and that some people need 5K-10K IU daily to bring levels up and then hopefully maintain with the 2000IU. I increased on my own since I knew I would be seeing the Dr in a weeks time and figured it wouldn't hurt.

After upping my Vit D I felt amazing. My body felt light again and NO CHEST PAINS!!! The cardiologists office said "Great for you but we never hear of such a thing" agreed I could stop the Nitrate right away. When I saw the Primary Dr he again blew off, wanted me on a statin for a boarderline LDL and at that very moment i knew he wasn't the Dr for me.

New dr as of March, blood panels drawn I was iron deficient but not anemic, Vit B12 deficient as well. My thyroid numbers have now shown consistent with Hypo so she did start me on a low dose of Synthroid. My allergy panel showed no food allergies however tree pollen allergies can cause an oral allergy to certain nuts and fruit. No Lyme disease, Babesia or the like. The Dr was concerned since she had noticed since Oct my WCB had been as high as 14.9 and then a low of 8 when i was on an antibiotic for a UTI back in Dec. Since Jan and as recent as last week my WBC was 15 -17. I show no signs of infection. She has now referred me to a Hematologist. This concerns me of course, I did ask the dr if she thought it has anything to do with the thyroid since I've read that inflammation can cause and elevated count. She didn't seem to think so.. also over the last few months both my Neutophils and Lymphocytes were elevated the other differentials were all normal. Again i keep coming back to inflammation, is this primary care dr just sending me to the hematologist to cover herself or is there a real reason for concern?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Elevated WBC caused by Hypothyroidism?

Hi psh,
    Good to hear you are supplementing vit D3, I currently have to take 4000ui daily to stay in range.

Not sure what your iron deficiency is (lab values if poss?) low iron and low vit B12 points to pernicious anemia. This is known to affect the heart rate, cause chest pain etc and there is a rare type of pernicous anemia that can cause high wbc, however if you are only mildly low I do not know if this would be a reason.

Anaemia is known to lower your red blood cells, this in turn could possibly make the wbc appear higher, (???)though with the neutrophils and lymphocytes it really is pointing to infection based.

Dehydration can elevate wbc. Even mild dehydration.

A low grade infection can also do the same, you may not even be aware of it. It could be an old dodgy filling that needs replacing or stomach bacteria etc. I always seem to have a low grade sinus infection which rarely bothers me but will increase my wbc.

Allergies and even some meds can also cause high wbc (aspirin, anti histamine with ephedrine etc)

I would not be overly concerned but it is a good idea to see the haematologist to rule out anything suspicious. Inflammation is also possible there is a blood test available, I have just googled it ESR test (erythrocytes sedimentation rate)

Hope you can solve this but do keep on top of your iron levels, low is low!

All the best.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
    psh444
    (female)

psh444 HB User

Hi, thanks for the response.

My iron is 25 UIBC high, saturation % Low. All my red blood counts are really good. The B-12 was just at the low end of the range. The Dr. indicated no anemia was suspected.

I am a firm believer in gut health, so that could mean a lot of things here...first off it would explain why my b-12 could be low since I might have an absorption issue. I am now taking probiotics and eating whole foods. So if I do have an off balance gut (which I think we all do) then I would hope within the next few months I would be capable of taking an oral supplement of b12. If you are correct this also could play into the elevated wbc..something to look into for sure.

Perhaps dehydration can be an issue. I do not have any of the typical symptoms that go along with it but lord knows there are days I don't get all my water in. I have set up alarms on my phone to remind me to drink.

I have some tree pollen allergies which have yet to bother me this season.
    My allergy panel doesn't show any other types of allergies.

If it's a tooth, I would expect some sort of pain, discomfort...something.

My ESR was elevated in Oct & Nov but is normal since Dec..

Thank you again for your response

Last edited by psh444; 04-15-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

hi psh,

if your iron saturation is showing low along with B12 being low in range i would still suspect a mild iron deficiency. improving your absorbtion of these nutrients by aiding the gut may assist and improve the levels, but i would still be keeping an eye on them.

my daughter has massive house dust allergies (along with cat, pollen etc) hard to contend with when her mother is hypo and doesnt always stay on top of it(dust and cat hair), we own a cat and cannot control pollens levels so really she has it coming from all sides but while her bloods showed a massive positive (doc said it was off the charts) to these allergies the only symptom she had was a bit of sneezing and felt otherwise very well.

you may not necessarily have tooth pain with either very mild decay or a non performing filling that needs replacing, as you know the body has tremendous capabilities of protecting us and fighting these things that we are oblivious too until it can no longer hold it off.

i am not saying you have any of these issues, only showing that it really doesn't take much to elevate a response in the body that we may be unaware of and only find out by accident.

healing the gut is a good idea and bear in mind you also need a good ph balance as too low or too high an acid can negate all those good nutrients!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Running WBC counts in the 15-17K range is not normal, and that is higher than one would expect from inflammation. Are your inflammatory markers high (sed rate, CRP?)
    So I think your Dr is doing the right thing. The hematologist will check all sorts of things, and if nothing turns up, I would see a rheumatologist. Since you have one autoimmune disease, it is possible you have another one lurking, and those can also cause high WBC. A hidden infection should also be sought, like a sinus infection, a persistent UTI, etc. since the white count did come down with antibiotics. Did you have a follow-up urine check to make sure the UTI had cleared up? Let us know what transpires. These things can sometimes require very good detective work, so be patient.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
    psh444
    (female)

psh444 HB User

I thought I posted a reply, if so excuse the repeat...

The hematologist is running more blood tests, checking for JAK2 & BCR-ABL as well another CRP. He wants to rule out CML. He didn't think this was anything ominous (thank goodness). He seemed more concerned about my iron and prescribed Ferrex 28. I go back in 2 weeks for a follow up but my take is the elevated wbc is simply benign Neutrophilia and thats that

Thanks again for the responses!! Stay well

Closed Thread