It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• High TSH and High Free T3!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
    iCeNN
    (male)

iCeNN HB User
    High TSH and High Free T3!?

Ok so due to suspecting hypothyroidism, because of several symptoms, I saw my doctor and ordered some tests. Here are the results(blood drawn at 11 am)

TSH: 3.95 (0.40-4.50) HIGH (outdated range)

Free T4 Index (T7): 2.3 (1.4-3.8)

T4 Free: 1.5 (0.8-1.8)

T3 Free: 4.6 (2.3-4.2) HIGH

T3 Total: 111 (76-181)

T3 Uptake: 42 (22-35%) HIGH

T3 Reverse: 22 (11-32)

Thyroid Peroxide Antibodies <10 (<35 IU/mL)

October 2012 my results were: (same range as above btw)

T3 Free: 3.4

TSH: 1.18

T4 Free: 1.3
    All normal that time(T3 wasn't checked)

Also I should note my Testosterone has always been in the mid 300 range, but I just got recent results back and my Total Testosterone was extremely low at 233 (241-827). I know most of my symptoms are from the Low T, but I'm now suspecting there's something off with my thyroid. I'm seeing a Urologist and an endocrinologist very soon as I feel critically ill. But does anyone know what it means if you have high TSH AND high Free T3/T3 Uptake!? Has anyone heard of/seen such results? I'm taking an MAOI(Antidepressant) which I was not previously on in 2012, but as far as I know MAOIs don't mess with the thyroid. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You

Last edited by iCeNN; 04-16-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: High TSH and High Free T3!?

I had low Testosterone. I can attest it will mess with you as much as hypothyroid.

What you should expect from you endocrinologist is to test LH, FSH. If these are elevated then it's primary hypogonadism. Which is simple, you need hormone replacement.

If LH and FSH are low or normal, that points to secondary (pituitary related) hypogonadism. In that case the doctor should check. Growth hormone, AM Cortisol. and ACTH to rule out other secondary hormone deficiencies. Bonus would be an MRI of the pituitary.

My advice, get the low testosterone sorted, then recheck thyroid in six months.

PS: With levels like yours, you probably will feel much better on testosterone meds. Though it may take six months for the full effects to be felt. Some of the tissues in your body that respond to testosterone are only effected slowly.

Closed Thread