It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How to bring on anxiety, chest pains with synthroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User
    How to bring on anxiety, chest pains with synthroid

Don't you just hate it when for months you have only minor short term Hypo symptoms while on Synthroid, then all of a sudden everything comes crashing down. Here's what happened to me recently:

During November and December 2012, by Synthroid dosage/labs were:
    Synthroid dosage = .125 & .137 (alternating each day).
    TSH = 1.65 (range .30 to 4.20).
    FREE T4 = 18.4 (range 11 to 20).

When January 1st, 2013 arrived, I was feeling as if I had less energy. My Synthroid was increased to .137 and I felt FANTASTIC! But, like many of us, after 4 weeks (early February) I started to feel more tired and now my stomach felt off (general feeling), and I found myself being more withdrawn due to how I was feeling.

On the February 15, 2012 by labs showed the following:
    Synthroid dosage = .137
    TSH = .29 (range .35 to 4.94)
    FREE T4 = 14.7 (range 9. to 19.1)

My TSH seemed much to low (below range) to me and I wondered if it could be the reason I was feeling bad.... So I took it upon myself to lower my Synthroid for 4 days (bad idea). Day one I took nothing, day two I took .125, day three I took .137 and day four I took .125 (the remainder of days was back up to .137). During that week I noticed that an anxiety breathing episode returned (trying to catch top breath)... a symptom I had not felt in plenty of months. In addition I felt a few strange sharp stabbing pains in by left chest area and neck. Then on February 24th (a Sunday), I was feeling tired and had a coffee at noon hour. Within an hour I had super sharp stabbing pains on my left chest/breast area followed by a massive anxiety/nervous attack. This went on five days before it began to slowly reduce. My system just felt like it was in overdrive and I had lost control. The only way to calm down my system was to do exercise or breathing exercises.

My doc suggested I reduce my Synthroid back to alternating .125 & .137. This was good advice, except I decided to change how I took my Synthroid. In the past I would wake, take my Synthroid and then eat breakfast within 15 minutes. I decided to change this and now take my Synthroid at the exact same time 7 days a week and always eat 50 minutes later. What could possibly go wrong?

I began this new routine on March 5th. I'd wake up at 5:30am, take my Synthroid and in some cases go for a 4Km run, then have breakfast. I had hoped that the Synthroid would stabalize with this routine and I should no longer get tired after taken a dosage for a month. On March 24th, I was out for one of my runs when all of a sudden... bam, super explosive sharp pains in my chest which freaked the living daylights out of me. This of course caused mass anxiety which lasted a week. I did get checked out at the hospital for my chest and all was well.

I then lowered by Synthroid dosage to .112 and continued the 5:30 regime. For the next two weeks I had plenty of heart flutter in my chest which caused me to cough. There were also the occasional pains in the centre, back and left of chest area. Apparently, the change in taking a dose of Synthroid at the exact same time each day, and 50 mins before eating causes one to get the full effect of Synthroid.

I returned to the hospital a day after my heart freak out episode, and had some blood work done. My thyroid labs were:

Synthroid dosage: .125 & .137 (alternating)
    TSH = .18 (range .35 to 4.94)
    FREE T4 = 17.4 (range 9 to 19.1)

So it would seem that, for me anyways, having my TSH below the recommended range allows for chest pains and anxiety.

Today I still take my dosage at 5:30am, but I've reduced Synthroid to .112 until my next blood test in a month. The anxiety has gone way done. Except, due to all the dosage changes, my system is still not bang on.

Anyone else get Anxiety, Nervousness and chest pains when their TSH is below the recommended range?

Last edited by BikerDude; 04-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: How to bring on anxiety, chest pains with synthroid

>Anyone else get Anxiety, Nervousness and chest pains when their TSH is below the recommended range?

Well the TSH is only a proxy for generalized T3 levels + plus hopefully some input from the hypothalamus. If it's below range that points to thyroid hormones being 'high'. You changed how you dose and perhaps that changed your thyroid levels.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Once you are on meds the TSH is not a reliable indicator because the meds suppress the TSH level.

As gloom said the FT3 level is the one to go by, in conjunction with FT4 for a better overall picture, and not TSH.
    If FT3 is too high or conversion is happening too fast this over stimulates the body and can cause hyper symptoms.
    When my FT3 was high I had more chest discomfort rather than pain but I also got palpitations and arrythmias. I scaled back on the meds but I am on a combi of T4/T3 dessicated thyroid hormone.

When you took your meds originally you only left 15 mins between meds and breakfast so your meds were not being fully absorbed, the longer time with meds on an empty stomach gave you more absorption.

You mentioned having coffee at noon then massive anxiety symptoms within an hour. Caffiene is a stimulant, most of us use it for a boost but your system was probably already over stimulated.
    Have you had cortisol levels checked? If these are too low, even too low in range, any stimulant can create an issue. It also affects our thyroid meds. Even if you need the higher dose of thyroid med. the adrenals cannot handle the extra stimulation, and need to be treated. Might be worth checking cortisol and FT3 levels.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User

My current doc never checks Free T3, although I have asked. He is a general physician so has but only the entry level thyroid knowledge. Have done the Cortisol saliva swab test (which I mailed away) just over a year ago and I was just barely within range. Unfortunately in Canada we are stuck with the Cortisol blood tests, once in the morning and once in the early evening, which are not the greatest.

Good info about the Free T3. There certainly is something going on because my body just seems to drop in and out of anxiety mode a bit too often for my liking.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

If you do searches on low cortisol along with its affect on thyroid you will see the relationship and counter affects they can have on each other.
    It does sound to me like you possibly need the higher dose of med but your adrenals cannot handle the additional stimulation, you could also find that treating the low cortisol issue may then result in a reduction in meds once they are back to normal.

Most docs will not look at low in range cortisol but it does delay progress in thyroid treatment. Along with this being low it can in many case show low DHEA, these are effectively the mother and grandmother hormones of the body and affect all of our hormones. A naturopath MD might be worth looking into for treatment of this and can combine this with thyroid treatment, preferably one who will take your Ft3 levels into account!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I've never seen a naturopath, or homeopathic MD, but perhaps it's time that I look into what is available for me here in Ottawa, Canada.

Closed Thread