It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hi Im new to this board and was wondering if someone can help me read my thyroid lvls

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User
    Hi Im new to this board and was wondering if someone can help me read my thyroid lvls

TSH 1.424
    Free T4 1.00
    Tri-Iodothyronine Total 90.5
    Free T3 3.03

I would appreciate any help in understanding it,Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User
    Re: Hi Im new to this board and was wondering if someone can help me read my thyroid

Hi and welcome.

Could you please have a look at your bloodwork and repost the results along with the ranges of each test.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User
    Re: Hi Im new to this board and was wondering if someone can help me read my thyroid

Hi yes sorry

TSH 1.424 standard range(0.320- 5.500)uiu/ml
    Free T4 1.00 stanard range(0.70-1.80)ng/dl
    Tri-Iodothyronine total 90.5 stanard range(76-181)ng/dl
    Free T3 3.03 stanard range(2.30-4.20)pg/ml

Plus I just found out my cortisol level is low =( have to take that test tomorrow..

Thank you

Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

I think your thyroid labs look 'mostly reasonable'

TSH pretty normal. T4 and T3 are a bit low.

Definitely look into cortisol. And also mineral and vitamin deficiencies. Any of those can give you symptoms that are similar to hypothyroidism. And also I read hints that poor health and extreme dieting can cause your thyroid hormones to be lower.

PS: I think diagnosing low cortisol (addisons disease) is very very tricky since the normal/abnormal lab ranges for cortisol tend to overlap. Kind of like trying to prove a negative.

Good luck.

Last edited by gloom; 04-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloom View Post
    I think you're thyroid labs look 'mostly reasonable'

Definitely look into cortisol. And also mineral and vitamin deficiencies. Any of those can give you symptoms that are similar to hypothyroidism. And also I read hints that poor health and extreme dieting can cause your thyroid hormones to be lower.

PS: I think diagnosing low cortisol (addisons disease) is very very tricky since the normal/abnormal lab ranges for cortisol tend to overlap. Kind of like trying to prove a negative.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

Thank you for the help, I feel pretty bad I will have them do a MRI or CT scan should it come back adnormal, my vit d is low 18 range starting at 20 a little worried I have a lot of symptoms of low cortisolworried it might be my adrenal gland or my pituitary glands

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloom View Post
    I think you're thyroid labs look 'mostly reasonable'

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

I had my cortisol level done again and had the cortisol shot,Then the 30 min blood draw then 60 min blood draw test, and it came back normal so strange...Can anyone tell me why? Also do you think If I had my Endo Dr up my thyroid meds a little I will feel better? I have a new Endo Dr now so a bit worried He wont listen had a tough time finding a good one before now due to inusrance change had to get a new one..Thank you with any help on this.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Low levels of vit D can cause many symptoms, achy bones, tiredness and so on if you research symptoms you will find out the list. Dosing with prescription D2 does not appear to bring levels up sufficiently for most people.
    D3 over the counter vitamins are far better and I have to take 4000ui a day just to keep reasonably in range. The Daily rec. dose is a mere 400ui!

Also, get your iron checked, having your iron at a good level can make a dramatic change to symptoms. Lots of symptoms overlap in these areas and may not necessarily be your thyroid.

Get these to optimal levels and see if your symptoms improve then perhaps check with your doc on a small raise if it still applies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    melvan1 (04-21-2013)
    Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

Thank you,I have had iron level chkd it is normal,Will try the vit d the ones you suggest,although I have tryed vit d and it still did not raise lvl may not have been using the right one or dose.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Have you had iron and ferritin or just iron and was it in range normal or optimal?
    Optimal is better, I do not know what your lab range is for iron, ours would mean levels below 6 patient likely in need of plasma or blood iv, 11-13 optimal for women.

Vitimin D3 over the counter at least 2000 ui per day in most cases more is need for out of range low. I would check with your doc. But I do not think 5000 ui a day would be too much until you are at a good range and then lower, approx 2000ui to keep it there.

20 mins of sunshine daily gives you 10,000 ui per day if you are not wearing sunscreen have arms exposed (long bones, upper arms and thighs, absorb this better) also without sunglasses which is why I suggest 5000ui especially if you do not get sun or are not in it.

I am guessing you know not to eat within half to one hour of taking tablets for better absorption, do not tkae iron or other binding type supplements/foods within 2-4 hrs and do not tkae your meds before a blood draw. This is stating the obvious but some doctors do not advise people on this

Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

Hemoglobin was 13.6 reference level(11.9-15.9) Hematocrit was 40.0 reference level(35.0-49.0) I was told it was good? Thank you for all your help=)

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Hi, sorry did not see the question earlier! Your iron is good but your iron stores are on the low side, a supplement to bring that up would work. All the best!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
    melvan1
    (female)

melvan1 HB User

The Dr said iron lvls fine...and did a 24hr urine test no results back yet,also drew my blood to see if I have a gluten intolerance and low calcium and so far that has came back normal.so waiting for the urine test results he also uped my armour thyroid from 30 milligrams to 45 milligrams and I've been on that dose for three days and I'm just wondering if that maybe too much I'm not feeling any symptoms but I'm not quite sure what I would be feeling if um its too much.he also said he didn't want to give me a calcium and vitamin D supplement and tell he gets my urine results back so any help in this matter any opinions I would greatly appreciate it thank you

Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Hi, if its too much you will know soon enough high T3 can cause a jittery sensation, fast heart rate, racing thoughts, hard to sleep etc. T3 is fast acting and also short acting which is why a lot of people split the dose morning and lunch time, to get the full benefit of the T3 component.

The endo is checking calcium to rule out parathyroid issues, high calcium points to this so I wouldn't take calcium until you know this.

The Daily rec. dose for D3 is a mere 400ui, yet 15-20 mins exposure to sun gives us
    1000 ui, safe to safe it is unlikely you would cause any issues on even 2000ui a day if you are not getting sunshine! I think I mentioned I am on 4000ui just to stay in the low end of the normal range!! You are low out of range with this and I cannot see how taking vit D would interfere with any outcome but I am not a doc. It would be incredibly difficult to overdose on D.

Endo's are not always the best option, they will rule out adrenal issues if you are in range, however, low in range does cause problems for most people with hypo. In everything I have read and also experienced myself. My doc is not a fan of cortisol, and I know this is why I am still having issues .

If you do end up on calcium because you are low, read into the relationship between it and magnesium, it is a very interesting read and it convinced me to take it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    melvan1 (05-03-2013)
    Closed Thread