It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH High T4 Free Normal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
    Diabetessucks
    (male)

Diabetessucks HB User
    TSH High T4 Free Normal

I have TSH done twice in one month. On March 16, Its was 5.8 which is out of standard range; however, my T4 was normal at .75. On April 12, It was 4.9 which is also out of range; T4 was normal at .74. My doctor feels TSH is slightly elevated but I should not be too concerned since T4 is normal. I have been feeling really sluggish for past 6 months or so. 2-3 cups of strong coffee is the only thing that gets me going. Even have to take caffeine pills sometime because I just don't have any energy. My legs hurts and sometime I wake up in night because my legs feel so heavy. I also want to mention that I am Insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. My latest A1C was 7.4. I don't think its diabetes because it is well controlled for the most part. I would appreciate your input in this. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: TSH High T4 Free Normal

We need to know the reference range used for the T4 test. Most of the time, a result that low wouldn't be "normal" for at least 95% of the population. Low-normal equals inadequate for the vast majority of people. If free T4 isn't at least 50% of its ref. range, it will cause multiple symptoms of low thyroid.

Post the range if you know it.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Diabetessucks (04-19-2013)
    Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
    Diabetessucks
    (male)

Diabetessucks HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    We need to know the reference range used for the T4 test. Most of the time, a result that low wouldn't be "normal" for at least 95% of the population. Low-normal equals inadequate for the vast majority of people. If free T4 isn't at least 50% of its ref. range, it will cause multiple symptoms of low thyroid.

Post the range if you know it.
    THYROXINE, FREE (FREE T4) - Standard Range - 0.56-1.64 ng/dL

Results - 3/14/13 - .74

Results - 4/12/13 - .75

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE - Standard Range - 0.35-3.30 mcIU/mL
    Results - 3/14/13 - 5.32

Results - 4/12/13 - 4.49

Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your free T4 is merely 17% of its range... Meaning, it's way too low. That's reflected in your too-high TSH. (TSH for healthy people would be no higher than 1-2.)

So, your doctor is sorely mistaken. You need a prescription for thyroid hormone, and if this guy won't give you one... Find a better doctor.

The following user gives a hug of support to midwest1:
    Diabetessucks (04-19-2013)
    Closed Thread