It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Scared! Any help would be great!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User
    Scared! Any help would be great!

Found a "lump" on my neck last week...just by chance. and even when I went to the dr. I had to show them where it was, they couldn't find it!

fast forward to now, after dr. visit, ultrasound and visit with ENT. The ENT said I shouldn't lose any sleep over this and is very confident it's nothing. (not cancerous) even after he read the ultrasound report. He gave me the, "almost everyone has lumps on their thyroid and don't even know it"! And that its almost better to have multiple lumps and not just one single one.

here is what the ultrasound report said. (I do a FNA tomorrow)

I welcome any personal experience, good or bad. I know that nothing can be said for sure until the biopsy...but I think just talking about this and hearing from others helps me. Xanax can keep me only so calm....

Thanks!

U/S report...
    Findings: The thyroid is heterogeneous in echotexture. Multiple bilateral nodules. Right lobe measures 4.49 x 2.16 x 1.57 cm. Left lobe measures 3.99 x 1.3 x 1.44 cm. the isthmus 3 mm.

Corresponding to the palpable abnormality left neck is medial hypoechoic vascular nodule extending from the lateral isthmus measuring 1.35 x 0.7 cm margins are not well defined. The nodule is indeterminate. Biopsy should be considered. Within the left thyroid posteriorly 3 x 2 x 3 mm hypoechoic nodule and a 3 x 2 x 4 mm similar hypoechoic nodule.

Superior right thyroid well marginated, well-defined 1.1 x 0.9 x 1.2 cm hypovascular nodule. Characteristics suggest benign process. Also superior hypoechoic, vascular 4 x 3 x 5 mm nodule. Mid posterior solid hypoechoic vascular nodule 8 x 5 x 10 mm. inferiorly calcified vascular nodule 6 x 4 x 6 mm.

IMPRESSION: 1. Heterogeneous echotexture of the thyroid gland. Mulitiple bilateral nodules. 2. Corresponding to palpable abnormality medial left thyroid hypoechoic vascular nodule poorly defined margins, indeterminate. Biopsy would be suggested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: Scared! Any help would be great!

Only personal experience I have is having an FNA and drainage done on a cyst. And I read up on nodules.

I found the FNA to be okay despite the seemingly gruesome thought of someone poking a needle in your neck. For me, it didn't hurt had a slightly sore neck the next day once. I think that's pretty typical.

I think your doctor is right not to worry.

What I've read is that it's very hard to determine anything about thyroid nodules from an MRI. Somethings make it a little more likely the nodule is cancer, and somethings make it a little less likely. Though one thing, the chance of cancer doesn't increase with more nodules you have. Since you have a bunch, it's much less likely that the one they are going to sample is cancer. So less likely than the 5-10% chance you see quoted.

If it's cancer, also remember most types of thyroid cancer have a nearly 100% cure rate. (Even thyroid cancer that's spread all over the place has a decent cure rate) And thyroid surgery and RAI isn't the misery that you get with other cancer treatment. So the chance it's nothing is high, the worst you could be looking at isn't that bad.

Good luck with the results, hopefully they'll be like most people and nothing.

PS: You might have a thyroid antibody panel done. Though they aren't all that definitive so take any result with a grain of salt.

Last edited by gloom; 04-23-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User

Thank you!!

I'm not even nervous about the FNA. I worry about the results!!! They can stick 100 needles in me, I don't care. It's the wait and worry that's driving me insane..... literally. I just hope I don't have to go all weekend not hearing anything.

My dr. said that having multiple nodules is a better sign than just one or two. So I'm hoping i'm not that "rare" 5-10% the statistics mention. The way they describe the one nodule, kinda worries me. I don't like not knowing, good or bad, I just wanna know!!

Xanax and Ambien have become my VERY close friends.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User

Just finished the FNA about a half hour ago. Not fun but not horrible. Now the worst part..... Waiting.

Closed Thread