It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Naturethroid exhaustion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User
    Naturethroid exhaustion

I've been taking naturethroid for over 2 months after switching from synthroid. I started at 1 grain/day and increased it by half a grain every two weeks (like stop the thyroid madness says) as soon as I felt hypo symptoms coming back.

12 days ago I increase my dose from 2.5 grains to 2.75 grains and felt good for the 12 days until yesterday and today where I am exhausted with terrible mental fog. Now I increased my dose from 2.75 grains to 3 grains today. The average dose of desiccated thyroid is 3.5 grains. I have felt lousy all day just like I did on 2.75 grains yesterday. Should I start feeling better now that I increased my dose or will it take a day or 2?

Everytime my hypo symptoms came back I increased my dose by half a grain (symptoms returned every 2 weeks) and I started feeling better again. What could be the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Naturethroid exhaustion

It is probably time to get your frees tested and see where you are at.

it is possible you are over converting the t4 to FT3 and your ft4 is low with FT3 high which can happen.
    This would account for the continuing hypo symptoms or you may also need another raise but you do not want to overshoot due to hyper. Kicking in.

Low iron can account for still feeling hypo as well, as can a myriad of other things.

Test frees and post them with lab ranges, this will give a better overall view and it would be easier to comment on those.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I actually got some bw done recently and got the FT3, FT4, and Tsh checked but at the time I was on 2.5 grains. Everything actually looked good. I'll dig out the labs and post the results. I also check iron (normal), cortisol (normal although it was fasting blood), and tipo (normal).

I think things may start working better in a day or two because I am also taking clomid for another issue and just realized that I was on too high of a dose of that for too long. I dropped it after reading about the emotional sides it can cause. Hopefully my thyroid dose will feel much better in a few days when the clomid leaves my system.

Again I'll find those labs and post them.

Last edited by lakeshow24; 04-28-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I actually got some bw done recently (April 12th) and got the FT3, FT4, and Tsh checked but at the time I was on 2.5 grains. Everything actually looked good. I'll dig out the labs and post the results. I also check iron (normal), cortisol (normal although it was fasting blood), and tipo (normal). I am now on 3 grains after increasing it from 2.75 grains.

I think things may start working better in a day or two because I am also taking clomid for another issue and just realized that I was on too high of a dose of that for too long. I dropped it after reading about the emotional sides it can cause. Hopefully my thyroid dose will feel much better in a few days when the clomid leaves my system.

Again I'll find those labs and post them.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

a friend of mine was on clomid, she ended up giving up on it because of all the side effects and bloating, gas, and tummy pain were the physical, the emotional were far worse, glad you are doing better on it.

i would probably give the clomid time as you suggested and also give the thyroid meds 6 weeks (on the higher dose) if it is bearable and see if it resolves.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Surfing4answers View Post
    a friend of mine was on clomid, she ended up giving up on it because of all the side effects and bloating, gas, and tummy pain were the physical, the emotional were far worse, glad you are doing better on it.

i would probably give the clomid time as you suggested and also give the thyroid meds 6 weeks (on the higher dose) if it is bearable and see if it resolves.
    Thanks for your reply! I found the blood work. This was on 2.5 grains. I had used the 2.5 grains for 11 days prior to the labs (Was on 2 grains before).

Iron and TIBC:
    Iron bind. cap. (TIBC) 307 (250-450)
    UIBC 207 (150-375)
    Iron, serum 100 (40-155)
    Iron saturation 33% (15-55)

FT4 1.34 (.82-1.77)
    TSH .223 (.450-4.5) This was expected
    T3 107 (71-180)
    FT3 3.7 (2-4.4)

Cortisol 23 (8am 8-19) Slightly high but I think it'll go down so it shouldn't affect me too much

Yea the clomid is brutal. It is effecting my eye sight, and many emotional sides, lack of motivation, etc. I used too high of a dose for a week long than I should have (100mg 2 weeks instead of one). I'm dropping the clomid for a few days than I'll reintroduce it at 50 mg ed.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Apologies for the late reply, life has a way of taking over!

When you were on 2.5 grains your FT4 was at 54% of the range and your FT3 was at 70%.
    With the increase you might find on your next lot of tests your Ft4 remains the same or goes lower and your Ft3 goes higher, if this happens, think about getting cortisol and DHEA levels checked. Adrenals, in some people, can cause problems with over conversion, not being able to take the extra stimulation etc. which can cause a hypo/hyper battle. But as I said only in some people.

The fact that you are on clomid could be giving a skewed view also though. It is used to trick the body into thinking it has low levels of estrogen so that it send a signal out for more. This strains the endocrine system somewhat and can put a lot of hormones out of whack, including thyroid and I think it could be very difficult to stabilise thyroid levels while you are on them. High estrogen creates estrogen dominance and causes all sorts of symptoms, I also think it would have a knock on effect on all the hormones.

Clomid is a fairly short term use med. you may get relief soon given you have reduced it, if not and if it were me, I would probably wait until I had finished clomid before trying to correct a possibly skewed thyroid panel with higher and higher doses, if I could bear with the symptoms. But I do know we all have to decide for ourselves at the end of the day. Your side effects on clomid are quite similar to thyroid symptoms also, it must be crazy trying to figure out what is doing what!!

I hope you get some relief soon, and again sorry about the delayed response!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I do feel much better after dropping the clomid. It completely eliminated the anxiety and improved my vision. I also redropped my naturethroid from 3 to 2.75. If hypo symptoms return I'll bump it to 3. Do you know if it is easy to get the cortisol saliva test? I don't know if my doctor will add that to the labs. He always puts down the blood fasting cortisol, which definitely does not tell the whole picture.

Luckily I got all my hormones checked (except reverse t3 which I will do), and estradiol was perfect, total testosterone, and free test were great. I don't know how clomid affects my thyroid hormones though. The thought of finishing the clomid therapy and going back on synthroid has occured, but I just felt horrible on synthroid. I never want to go back on that. Thanks for the reply. I'll post here if something else comes up.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I do feel much better after dropping the clomid. It completely eliminated the anxiety and improved my vision. I also redropped my naturethroid from 3 to 2.75. If hypo symptoms return I'll bump it to 3. Do you know if it is easy to get the cortisol saliva test? I don't know if my doctor will add that to the labs. He always puts down the blood fasting cortisol, which definitely does not tell the whole picture.

Luckily I got all my hormones checked (except reverse t3 which I will do), and estradiol was perfect, total testosterone, and free test were great. I don't know how clomid affects my thyroid hormones though. The thought of finishing the clomid therapy and going back on synthroid has occured, but I just felt horrible on synthroid. I never want to go back on that. Thanks for the reply. I'll post here if something else comes up.

Closed Thread