It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Levothyroxine and bloating?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
    rightnow
    (female)

rightnow HB User
    Levothyroxine and bloating?

I've been on levothyroxine for about 18 days now, and I've noticed I'm getting really bad bloating every day.

Before I started this medication, I never had any bloating problems, but now it seems like it's getting worse, and only happens a few hours after I take my medication and it lasts through out the entire day. When I wake up it's not as bad, but once I take the pill again, about and hour or two after, I look pregnant.

Every now and then I try to pass a little gas and that helps a lot, but I hardly ever have to pass gas, so the bloating stays with me. I've also noticed that I feel the need to belch more, it's not uncontrollable belching, I usually have to force it out to try to feel better.

Is levothyroxine known to cause this? What can I do to stop it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Levothyroxine and bloating?

The only real side affects with levo. Are if you are under dosed or over dosed as far as I know!

This could be just you getting used to the new med. the T4 is converting to FT3 and starting to build up in your system, this takes approx six weeks they you retest and adjust based on your labs.

I have read of people who have had similar experiences but they have said that once they were on the correct dose it disappeared. Hope you have the same result.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bloating, levothyroxine