It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Free T3 + Stiff Neck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
    btr789
    (male)

btr789 HB User
    Free T3 + Stiff Neck

Hi everyone,

I've been receiving treatment for hypothroydism for the past 4 weeks - 50 mg of Eltroxin.
    My blood results were as follows (pre-meds, i'm taking the next blood test in 2 weeks):

TSH - 7.58 (lab's normal range is 0.55 to 4.78).
    Free T4 - 12.45 (lab's normal range is 11.5 to 22.7).
    Total T3 - 0.8 (lab's normal range is 0.92 to 2.79).

I have a few questions i'd really appreciate your help with:

- Not sure why the doctor only tested for Total T3 and not free T3 (I have a meeting scheduled with an endocrinologist next month). Should I make sure I test for Free T3 the next time? Does the Total T3 give any solid indication about my situation (as it is currently not in the normal ranges)?

- Aside from the fatigue i've been experiencing for the past year, I have also been experiencing a strong tension in my neck muscles. Did any of you hear about neck muscles problems due to a Thyroid disorder? I also have a severe pain in my hamstrings each morning.

- In several places, I read about T3 mediciations (whereas the Eltroxin is T4). In which scenario should I be alerted that my endocrinologist should consider subscribing T3 medications for me?
    I should mention that the medication I am currently taking should have some effect in 4-6 weeks and I cannot say that I had any effect yet (it's been 4 weeks).

Thanks, I greatly appreciate any answer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Free T3 + Stiff Neck

Neck tension is a very common symptom of hypoT. It was one of my worst. Just before I was diagnosed, I had treated myself to my first therapeutic massage and was dismayed to find that the masseuse couldn't even work her fingers into those hard muscles, much less loosen them up.

Eltroxin is a thyroid med prescribed in countries usually averse to testing any kind of T3, so your request may be turned down. That may (or may not) be okay, as long as the total T3 is watched. I just read an article by a thyroid expert who believes that the less expensive total test is just about as accurate as the free T3, although he does not think the same about free/total T4. I don't know how right or wrong he is, but there's that.

It's my belief that levothyroxine therapy alone helps most people. They are able to convert enough T4 to T3 to fulfill their needs. Over the course of therapy, the FT4 will rise in response to dose increases. If the T3 doesn't keep pace with the T4, remaining low-range despite the levoT therapy, and if symptoms persist despite an optimal FT4 level - Then would be the time to consider adding T3 to the regimen.

You were very hypothyroid at the start of treatment. Don't worry excessively that your symptoms haven't yet responded. It only means you will need a dose increase at the next visit. Try to be patient. It takes time.

Closed Thread