It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New to Thyroid Issues & Slightly Freaking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
    Eyla
    (female)

Eyla HB User
    Question New to Thyroid Issues & Slightly Freaking

Hello! I'm new to this issue and I'm slightly worried about the whole process. I'm 31 (32 next week) and I went into the doc for sleeping issues and allergy issues, also to discuss weight loss. I haven't been to a regular doctor in 5+ years, bad, I know. While I was there I explained that I work out 5 days a week, eat pretty healthy and I can't seem to lose weight.

He decided to check my thyroid. I got my results back today and the two that he gave me he said was normal:

T4 - 6.3
    TSH - 3.830

after doing a little research, I read that depending on what lab does the test, there's a possiblity that I have hypothyroidism? I asked my mom today if there are any thyroid issues in my family and come to find out my grandmother and my aunt both had problems, one of them required surgery.

I have quite a few of symptoms I've seen listed although I never thought about it until I found out that this could be an issue: weight gain, severely fatigue, swelling in the legs/feet, puffiness in the eyes/face, irregular menstral cycles, muscle soreness, joint pain, dry skin, hair thinning, concentration issues, issues with the cold & cold skin.. etc. I exercise quite a bit but walking up a flight of stairs winds me, I yawn constantly to get oxygen... I just want to figure out what is going on and to feel good again. Should I persue this route and find a second doctor, go in for more test or am I just overreacting?

And just for background, I don't know if this matters or not but these issues didn't really start happening until after I had my youngest daughter (she's 5) and had a tubal done.

Last edited by Eyla; 05-01-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
    farfalla17
    (female)

farfalla17 HB User
    Seek a second opinion! Look for a doctor who uses another lab. This happened to me. One lab said my thyroid was fine while the other showed low thyroid function.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: New to Thyroid Issues & Slightly Freaking

Can you post the ranges for your labs? Otherwise people don't know what the numbers mean.

TSH looks upper range, or a little over depending on who's ranges you want to use, and based on the lab where the test was done.

T4, I can't guess what the ranges are from your number since they use different units depending on the lab.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
    Damsel2
    (female)

Damsel2 HB User
    Re: New to Thyroid Issues & Slightly Freaking

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eyla View Post
    Hello! I'm new to this issue and I'm slightly worried about the whole process. I'm 31 (32 next week) and I went into the doc for sleeping issues and allergy issues, also to discuss weight loss. I haven't been to a regular doctor in 5+ years, bad, I know. While I was there I explained that I work out 5 days a week, eat pretty healthy and I can't seem to lose weight.

He decided to check my thyroid. I got my results back today and the two that he gave me he said was normal:

T4 - 6.3
    TSH - 3.830

after doing a little research, I read that depending on what lab does the test, there's a possiblity that I have hypothyroidism? I asked my mom today if there are any thyroid issues in my family and come to find out my grandmother and my aunt both had problems, one of them required surgery.

I have quite a few of symptoms I've seen listed although I never thought about it until I found out that this could be an issue: weight gain, severely fatigue, swelling in the legs/feet, puffiness in the eyes/face, irregular menstral cycles, muscle soreness, joint pain, dry skin, hair thinning, concentration issues, issues with the cold & cold skin.. etc. I exercise quite a bit but walking up a flight of stairs winds me, I yawn constantly to get oxygen... I just want to figure out what is going on and to feel good again. Should I persue this route and find a second doctor, go in for more test or am I just overreacting?

And just for background, I don't know if this matters or not but these issues didn't really start happening until after I had my youngest daughter (she's 5) and had a tubal done.

Closed Thread