HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   So confused. And scared FNA biopsy report (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/948320-so-confused-scared-fna-biopsy-report.html)

kaj92 05-02-2013 06:57 AM

So confused. And scared FNA biopsy report

Here's how it reads...

The left nodule 1.3cm (the one I found and that can be felt): The direct smears contain minimal colloid and aggregates of follicle cells including microfollicle formation. Morphologic feature of papillary carcinoma are not identified. The cell block contains mainly blood and rare follicle cells.

The right nodule 1.1cm (the one I didn't even know I have)! The direct smears contain minimal colloid and aggregates of follicle cells some with microfollicle formation and Hurthle cell change. Morphologic features of papillary carcinoma are not identified. The cell block contains blood and rare folllicle cells.

Final diagnosis:
Right lobe of thyroid ...follicular neoplasm
Left lobe of thyroid...suspicious of follicular neoplasm

So, anyone get anything from that. I tried google...that didn't tell me much. And why is one "follicular neoplasm" and the other just "suspicious of follicular neoplasm"!?

I'm so stressed it's not even healthy anymore. I just want this thing out. I'm so scared it's cancer and probably spread already or something.:(

rosequartz 05-02-2013 08:25 AM

Re: So confused. And scared FNA biopsy report

it's probably NOT cancer, but it will need to be removed, simply because of the presence of Hurthle Cells. That's what happened to me. When there are hurthle cells, they can't tell if it's malignant or benign until they take it out and slice it up and send it to pathology. I'd bet that yours is benign, especially because there is more than one. get the book Thyroid for dummies, it is a great book, and explains a lot.
don't worry, whatever you do. even if it WAS cancer, thyroid cancer is one of the most curable ones out there......please don't sweat this.....

kaj92 05-02-2013 08:41 AM

Thank you! And yea, if I had my choice, I'd go in tomorrow and just have them take it out. I'm terrified of surgery, since i've never had it. But this not knowing if I'm walking around with cancer or not, scares me more. I meet with a surgeon in a couple weeks for a second opinion type of thing. I hope he recommends taking it out...because my ENT certainly didn't!! He did the "wait 6 months and and see" approach. GRRRR!! If this surgeon doesn't think I need it out, I don't know what I'll do! :(

rosequartz 05-02-2013 08:54 AM

waiting 6 months probably won't hurt anything, but I'm very surprised they didn't want to remove it because of the hurtle cells. I'm gonna guess you have hashi's, and a multi-nodular goiter, which is usually benign. If you want it out, tell the surgeon. I'm sure he won't have any problem accommodating your request!

kaj92 05-02-2013 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=rosequartz;5169425]waiting 6 months probably won't hurt anything, but I'm very surprised they didn't want to remove it because of the hurtle cells. I'm gonna guess you have hashi's, and a multi-nodular goiter, which is usually benign. If you want it out, tell the surgeon. I'm sure he won't have any problem accommodating your request![/QUOTE]

Well, when my ENT called me with the results of the FNA, he said "that these are follicular neoplasm's ..yes". But he also said he's about "90% sure they are follicular ADENOMAS". Which of course, are benign. He didn't totally mislead me or anything though. He did say "can I tell you 100% these aren't cancer.?....no". But he must have a reason for thinking they aren't cancer after looking at the FNA biopsy. Or, he is if nothing else, comfortable enough waiting 6 months since they're so small? I don't know..thats just a guess.

Wouldn't that Hashi's have been diagnosed by the FNA if I had it? And I have a total of like [B]7[/B] nodules on my thyroid according to the ultrasound!!! the biggest was the 1.3cm on the left and the 1.1cm on the right. the rest are just tiny 2 and 3 mm.

The only bloodwork I've ever had done with my thyroid is my TSH. That was in February.... it was 1.9. And has been that the last few years ranging from 1.5-1.9. They've done no other thyroid blood tests.

But something's up...

I've lost half my hair, gained like 30 pounds, weird rashes, can't sleep, night sweats, hot flashes...etc etc.

rosequartz 05-02-2013 09:29 AM

if you have 7 nodules it's pretty certain you don't have cancer. one nodule on it's own is more suspicious than multi-nodules.
hashi's isn't always detected from an FNA
ask for a blood test for antibodies, that will tell you if you have hashi's

kaj92 05-02-2013 09:42 AM

yes, I'm very lumpy and bumpy it seems. The ultrasound was pickin up nodules all over the place! :cool:

And that may be the other thing, before my ENT even saw the u/s results, let alone sending me for the biopsy, he said if I have multiple nodules, that decreases the chance of cancer even more. He said they worry more when people come in with one lump, and one ONLY!

Even on the u/s (which I know isn't definitive) on the right sided lump it said after the description "Suggests benign characteristics". The left one was the one that they for sure wanted biopsied (1.3cm) because of irregular margins? They biopsied both, even the one the u/s said "suggests benign"....and both nodules came back after the FNA as "follicular neoplasm"..or suspicious of.

so who knows. The only thing I do know is Im majorly depressed, anxious and at a loss... :(

rosequartz 05-02-2013 01:00 PM

don't be depressed....you're exactly right about the one nodule......
everything will be ok