It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Needing help and support for LPR and Thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
    Dmblvr
    (female)

Dmblvr HB User
    Needing help and support for LPR and Thyroidectomy

The globus sensation - something stuck in my throat - started suddenly about 8 months ago. It started with a trial of the antidepressant venlafaxine. I had had that side effect with a couple of other antidepressants in the past but it stopped as soon as I stopped the medication. This time even though I only took 3 doses, it didn't stop. Another thing that happened at this same time was having literally hundreds of seed tick bites from a hike. My socks and ankles were covered by these ticks and it was a couple of hours before I could get them all off. No rash and no fever though and I had actually forgotten about the ticks for a long time. Anyway, the globus got worse and worse and progressed to a burning sensation in my mouth along with the globus and chest pain especially after I ate. Also a burning pain in my ears. It feels like I'm being strangled from the inside. I researched it and came up with LPR. I've had multiple tests and seen multiple Drs including GI doctors and ENT Drs. I've had an EGD scope, a laryngoscope, manometry, 24 hour Ph impedence test. All show irritation and mild reflux. Nothing that would explain the severe pain I felt. I also just feel sick with no appetite and have lost a lot of weight that I didn't have to lose. I felt bloated and was constipated and felt like my digestive system just wasn't working right I was also experiencing numbness in my hands and mental fogginess. I tried all the PPI's taking the double doses. I developed severe diarrhea on all of them and had to stop. They didn't help anyway. I've also tried sucralfate and metoclopramide and zantac. I stopped the sucralfate because it seemed to make the bloating worse. I had to stop the metoclopramide because I was getting extrapyramidal side effects. I had a Lyme ELISA test and it was negative. I took a month of doxycycline just in case it was Lyme. I should note that like others, the pain and globus go away when I sleep and appear again shortly after awaking. Stress and anxiety make it worse.

In the process of trying to figure out what was wrong my Dr ordered an ultrasound of my neck and that is when nodules were found on my thyroid. I ended up having papillary thyroid cancer which had spread to one lymph node. They said they didn't think that was the source of the globus since the nodules were small. Still I was hoping that was the source. I had a total thyroidectomy with a right neck dissection. The incision is really long. After the surgery I felt worse than ever - it felt like I was being strangled from the outside where the incision is as well as the inside. The outside choking feeling has gotten a little better with neck stretching but the inside globus is still as bad as ever.

I don't know what to do or where to turn anymore. I'm following all the guidelines for reflux and have given up everything that I loved to eat and drink - no chocolate, no caffeine, no alcohol, no carbonated beverages, no fried food, no fatty food, etc. I've read Jamie Koufman's book an am doing the no acid diet. I've seen a neurologist and have recently started on gabapentin but so far haven't noticed a change. I also saw some posts on here about Vit D and am taking 4,000 units a day. I can't enjoy life and never feel like doing anything. I was perfectly healthy until this happened and now I feel it is destroying my life. I am terrified that this will never go away and this is how my life will be from now on. Any help or advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
    Dmblvr
    (female)

Dmblvr HB User
    Re: Needing help and support for LPR and Thyroidectomy

I forgot to mention that I am also taking 25mg Amitriptyline at bedtime

Old 03-15-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
    jaklyn2008
    (female)

jaklyn2008 HB User
    Re: Needing help and support for LPR and Thyroidectomy

I too was searching for an answer. My journey started in 2004 with a complete hysterectomy. I had a 7 lb fibroid removed. I was put on HRT, antidepressant all kinds of junk. I also was taking BP meds. I got to feeling so bad that I stopped it all at once. Then I really got sick. My neck swell. Go to doc. He was senile. Really no joke. He worked for my husbands company and I didnt have the money to keep going to docs and used him. He had me coming in three times and week and would forget I had been there. He recommended a endo. I saw this endo and he found nodules. I had read that HRT can effect thyroid, and told him this. Didn't seem to hear. I ended up have a partial thyroidectomy. Oh my gosh. I didnt think I could feel any worse but was I wrong. That was in 2006. Since then I have been fighting to feel norma. Now I have stomach issues and gallbladder issues. They want to remove the gallbladder. I am so afraid to have it done that I have put it off for almost 2 years. I feel like they are taking me apart and causing other issues. I have been to may doctors and they don't seem to know what they are doing. Always trying to put a patch on it but never really fixing anything. The best results I have ever had was with a ND. It is so expensive because insurance doesn't pay but I truly believe in it. It did work for me until I couldn't afford him and more. If you can see your way to a Holistic or ND doctor they take the time and use natural methods to treat the problem not put a patch on it. I have the answer but can't afford it. HuGGS

Last edited by jaklyn2008; 03-15-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    gerd, laryngopharyngeal reflux (lpr), lpr, thyroidectomy