It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Antibodies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
    traceyc38
    (female)

traceyc38 HB User
    Antibodies

Hi. I posted here a few weeks ago when my TSH and T4 results came back off for the first time. Have more questions after seeing an endocrinologist. My first concern is the blood work labeled ANTI-TPO. Normal levels are between 0.0 and 35.0. Mine are 86.2. Doesn't sound good to me but they let me walk out of there without a word. Does this mean anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Antibodies

Yes having anti-thyroid antibodies means you are producing antibodies against your own thyroid gland. This is an autoimmune process, called Hashimoto's thyroiditis, that will eventually cause you to become hypothyroid. You didn't specify which way your TSH and T4 were off, but some people go through a hyperthyroid phase early in the course and then become hypothyroid later on, like a year or more later, and that requires thyroid supplementation in the form of medication. Did your endocrinologist see you to discuss your results? I would expect that to happen. If no follow up app't was made, I would call the office and ask to speak to the Dr about your results and what folow up is suggested.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    traceyc38 (05-04-2013)
    Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
    traceyc38
    (female)

traceyc38 HB User

First off, thanks for your reply. What happened first was my primary care doc sent me to a neurologist who sent me for a bunch of blood work. My TSH came back 0.167 and my T4 was on the low end of normal. I was sent for another TSH a month later and it was 0.918, which seems suspect to me. Doc sent me to an endocrinologist, who I saw about two weeks ago and they drew blood at the office and my TSH was 0.404 (normal range at this practice is 0.270-4.200), my FT4 was 1.180 (normal range at this practice is 0.650-1.400) and my T3 was 126.9 (normal range at this practice is 84.6-130.2).

Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
    traceyc38
    (female)

traceyc38 HB User

I don't go back until the end of June. Nobody really consulted me about anything, tho they were very thorough during my examination. They did a ultrasound of my thyroid and said I have a very small nodule that the dr wouldn't raise any fuss over but that they would keep their on eye. During my annual physical I had my primary doc's office print up what the endo sent them and was disappointed to see this (high antibodies) because I knew the levels were too high to be irrelevant.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your hormone levels are tending toward the hyper range, although still normal. I don't think anything would be suggested for treatment at this point anyway, so I would just be aware if you develop any symptoms of hyperthyroidism, like insomnia, jitteriness, sweating, fast heart rate, weight loss, loss of hair, anxiety/nervousness. The end of June the levels inc. antibodies should be checked again to see how they are changing if at all, and an anti-TG antibody should be done, the other thyroid antibody. You may need no treatment until you develop the hypo side of things which could be a couple of years or more.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    traceyc38 (05-06-2013)
    Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
    traceyc38
    (female)

traceyc38 HB User

OMG. I hope I don't have to sit around feeling like this for another year. It's jeopardizing my job. I feel awful and already have all the symptoms you named. Jitteriness, fast heart rate, hair loss, anxiety, dry skin, dry and brittle hair and nails and then some.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tracey, there IS treatment available for the hyper symptoms, so I would contact your Dr about how you are feeling, so you don't have to wait 2 months. A beta blocker can be used to dampen heart rate and other symptoms, or meds to suppress the hormone production can be prescribed, or both until the suppressive med gets the hormone levels down. So you don't have to continue feeling like this!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
    traceyc38
    (female)

traceyc38 HB User

I'm already on Metoprolol Succ ER 50 mg once a day. Fast heart rate was probably my first symptom back in March 2011 when this all started. They said something about possibly doing that "uptake" thing to see what the nodule is doing, but I think I will call them and see if I can get in sooner. Appreciate all your help

Closed Thread