It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Here are my lab results...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User
    Here are my lab results...

So last week, I started a thread in which I discussed being called by my doctor's office last week (had a blood sample taken Tuesday) and told that my TSH level was below 0.06. I decided to go by his office today and get a printout of the lab work, and here are the thyroid-related values:

TSH: <0.006 (normal 0.45 - 4.5)
    T3 Uptake: 46 (normal 24-39)
    T4 Free, Direct: 6.11 (normal 0.82 - 1.77)

So it turns out that my TSH value is much lower than what they told me over the phone. Are the other values tested by the lab the "usual" ones that are evaluated to determine if someone is hyperthyroid? Is there essentially no doubt that I am?

I was also surprised at some of the other lab values -- my magnesium is only 1.6 (normal is 1.6 - 2.6), my creatinine is only 0.45 (normal is 0.76 - 1.27), my BUN to creatinine ratio is 38 (normal is 8-19), my WBC count is low, my hemoglobin is only 12.5 (should be 12.6 - 17.7), two other values associated with hemoglobin (MCH and MCHC) are low, neutrophils are low, ALT is 53 (shouldn't be higher than 40), and ALS is high-normal.

What the heck is going on? I'm only 25, 147 pounds (was 162 until 2-3 months ago), almost never drink, don't smoke, run 6-7 miles every day and go to the gym. Is this just bad genetics kicking in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
    america890
    (female)

america890 HB User
    Well, Im kind of the opposite of you because mine are too high.
    Im a teen, I weigh about 72 pounds and Im 49. Im healthy too and my doctor just told me that I have to take one little pill every day for the rest of my life to balance it.
    I obviously know nothing about this. Just, dont freak out like I did. I was 12 and I was all scared for my life. Anyways, just talk to your doctor and Im sure its nothing serious.

Last edited by Mo-S4; 05-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Here are my lab results...

I think you are clearly hyperthyroid, enough that you are losing significant weight. It really needs to be treated. I would ask for anti-thyroid antibodies to be done, anti-TPO and anti-TG, to see if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune) causing the overactive thyroid. The low WBC, anemia, iron deficiency (low MCHC), and elevated liver enzymes (or skeletal muscle enzymes) could be related to another autoimmune condition. How do you feel in general? Do you have any abnormal symptoms besides the weight loss? You might ask for an ANA test to rule out lupus, if you have any symptoms suggestive of it, other than these abnormal labs. Any exposure to hepatitis? How low were your WBC and neutrophil %? Viruses can cause low WBC, elevated liver enzymes, like hepatitis or mono. AST and ALT are enzymes both in the liver and in skeletal muscle, so muscle injury could elevate them.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    I think you are clearly hyperthyroid, enough that you are losing significant weight. It really needs to be treated. I would ask for anti-thyroid antibodies to be done, anti-TPO and anti-TG, to see if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune) causing the overactive thyroid. The low WBC, anemia, iron deficiency (low MCHC), and elevated liver enzymes (or skeletal muscle enzymes) could be related to another autoimmune condition. How do you feel in general? Do you have any abnormal symptoms besides the weight loss? You might ask for an ANA test to rule out lupus, if you have any symptoms suggestive of it, other than these abnormal labs. Any exposure to hepatitis? How low were your WBC and neutrophil %? Viruses can cause low WBC, elevated liver enzymes, like hepatitis or mono. AST and ALT are enzymes both in the liver and in skeletal muscle, so muscle injury could elevate them.
    Thanks for your response. In addition to the weight loss, I am also feeling totally exhausted/fatigued during running (as if I have already tried to run 10 miles). I used to be able to easily run for 7 or 8 miles and further if I wanted to. I will also have a random fine tremor throughout the day that may last for a few minutes in my arms or legs (especially below the knee). It also seems like nervousness and anxiety at school are more pronounced, and I have heart palpitations throughout the week (I never used to have them).

I have never been exposed to hepatitis and have never used drugs (and especially not needles).

To answer your questions, my WBC level was 3.9 (normal is 4.0-10.5) and my neutrophil level was 44 (normal is 40-74). However, there is another value called "Neutrophils (Absolute)" that is only 1.7 (normal is 1.8-7.8).

I think I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but my monocytes are high -- they were 14, (normal is 4-13).

So WBC's, neutrophils (absolute), and monocytes are all off, but they're not that far off. It is still probably significant, though. Also, my serum calcium level is high at 10.3 (normal is 8.7-10.2). MCH and MCHC were both 26.0 and 31.2 (normal levels are 26.6 - 33 and 31.5 - 35.7, respectively).

Also, my magnesium was on the very low end of normal at 1.6 (normal is 1.6 - 2.6).

I will be seeing my family practice doc either this week or next, so I will definitely bring all of these abnormal values up to him (he has a copy already as well). I will also follow your suggestion of inquiring about the possbility of autoimmune disorders such as lupus.

I think I will have to agree with your assessment that I have hyperthyroidism, especially since I did a bit of research and discovered that Free T4 is considered a more reliable indicator that someone has the condition. And, considering that my own Free T4 level is 6.11 (normal is 0.82-1.77) and my TSH is well below 0.006, something is definitely going on.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your symptoms are definitely consistent with hyperthyroidism. The calcium being a little high would make me want a parathyroid hormone level done, since the parathyroid glands are attached to the back of the thyroid, and sometimes both can be affected with one process. Monocytes are sometimes high in autoimmune disorders, so that fits too. Your Mg may be low because of your calcium being high. Your BUN/creatinine ratio is high because your creatinine is so low, perhaps from protein (muscle) breakdown from the hyperthyroidism. I would ask to have a CK enzyme checked, another muscle enzyme. It is quite possible the AST and ALT are from muscle breakdown, not liver. You will most likely need to be seen by an endocrinologist to suppress your thyroid hormone production. This will normalize your thryoid levels in time and you'll feel better. Hope some of these theories help you understand it better. This endocrine stuff gets complicated, but you should have answers pretty soon. I would see your PCP ASAP.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Your symptoms are definitely consistent with hyperthyroidism. The calcium being a little high would make me want a parathyroid hormone level done, since the parathyroid glands are attached to the back of the thyroid, and sometimes both can be affected with one process. Monocytes are sometimes high in autoimmune disorders, so that fits too. Your Mg may be low because of your calcium being high. Your BUN/creatinine ratio is high because your creatinine is so low, perhaps from protein (muscle) breakdown from the hyperthyroidism. I would ask to have a CK enzyme checked, another muscle enzyme. It is quite possible the AST and ALT are from muscle breakdown, not liver. You will most likely need to be seen by an endocrinologist to suppress your thyroid hormone production. This will normalize your thryoid levels in time and you'll feel better. Hope some of these theories help you understand it better. This endocrine stuff gets complicated, but you should have answers pretty soon. I would see your PCP ASAP.
    Thanks, I will be seeing my doctor soon. I just don't see how I could have liver problems at this age and without having had any destructive habits throughout my life -- unless genetics really is the reason.

Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting anything, do you consider my thryoid-related lab values (in addition to physical symptoms) to be indicative of hyperthyroidism? Based on my research they definitely are, but I just wanted to be sure. BTW, do you think it is Grave's Disease?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, and yes, to both ??'s. Also, hyperthyroidism can lower Magnesium levels, which can exaccerbate muscle weakness, so I would take a magnesium supplement, like 400 mg /day, until this gets resolved. The enzymes can be fractionated in the lab to identify if they are liver or skeletal muscle in origin.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User

Looks like I'll be visiting the doctor next week.

There's one other thing I wanted to ask you about. Back in January (before I started exhibiting hyperT symptoms and when I still felt mostly okay when running), I would have these bizarre nausea "episodes" once or twice per week. Basically, I would just be sitting around and I would get a very mild nausea feeling in my stomach (like the feeling you get if you haven't eaten all day that usually lasts for 20-30 seconds and then goes away). However, instead of going away, the nausea would intensify over the following 2-3 minutes and I would feel like I was approaching that vomiting threshold. So I would run off to the bathroom and bend over because I really felt like I was going to throw up, but nothing would ever come up. However, at the height of the nausea (usually when I was bending over), I would start profusely sweating small beads of sweat. Then the nausea would pass and I would feel fine.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I couldn't find anything on Google, but are these episodes related to being hyperT?

Closed Thread