It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• ITCHING and Hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
    Aloha401
    (female)

Aloha401 HB User
    ITCHING and Hypothyroid

Hi,

I am a 27 year old female. For the past year or so, I have been having periods that come and go of intense itching all over my body. It seems to correlate with my asthma, which usually occurs at the same time. I went to countless doctors in the last year and none of them could help me. I found out I had elevated TSH (about 5.9 at the time) and started taking thyroid hormone replacement, however I stopped taking it after a while because I started having hyperthyroid symptoms and my doctor couldn't seem to regulate my dose. (That was a year ago.)

I just went to the doctor recently and had another thyroid panel test and it seems my hypothyroidism has gotten much worse. My TSH is now 10.85. I also have a lot of trouble losing weight and I feel tired a lot. My itchy skin is now worse then it has ever been and it is driving me crazy. I take anti-histamines but they don't seem to help. I have an appointment with a new endocrinologist but it's not for about a month from now. Does anyone know if my TSH levels could have anything to do with my itchy skin and what could be done about it?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
    lisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
    Re: ITCHING and Hypothyroid

hello,

I have episodes of itchy all over too, to my knowledge it's associated with the antibodies (which are associated with Hashimoto and causing hypoT).

It makes sense that your hypoT got worse since that's the normal evolution of Hashimoto.

As far as not getting your medication regulated earlier, there are 2 things I want to point out. first when did the hyperT symptoms occur? Adjusting symptoms after a dosage increase/starting the medication up is very common, yet temporary, it's the body that is adjusting to the new medication, part of the meds titrating process. 2) although it might be a tough road and search to get the medication right, it's the only way to wellness. In order to achieve that it's good to ask a hard copy of the lab results everytime and keep track of them. You mention TSH, yet TSH alone does not give the full picture.
    As for blood results: TSh is thyroid stimulating hormone and not an actual thyroid hormone, it will rise when the actual thyroid hormone level drop too low for the bodies. FT4 and FT3 the actual thyroid hormone levels are the ones causing symptoms so in order to be symptomfree those need to be at a good place (for most that means at least midrange or 60-80% of the range).

good luck and hang in there

Closed Thread

Tags
    asthma, hypothyroidism, itching, itchy skin, thyroid problems