It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• FNA results question for Thyroid Nodules

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
    amieelowe
    (female)

amieelowe HB User
    FNA results question for Thyroid Nodules

In February a CT Scan showed a thyroid nodule so I got an ultrasound that showed a complex 2.7 cm nodule on the right upper lobe and two smaller solid nodules. I was referred to an endocrinologist and had an FNA done. I got my results today and the report reads,

"Benign Colloid Nodule. The specimen is satisfactory for evaluation. It consists of abundant colloid and hemosiderin-laden macrophages. There are numerous flat sheets of benign follicular cells. Scattered hurthle cells are also noted. This interpretation includes evaluation of a cell block."

My Endo says I have hashimotos and we should wait six months then ultrasound again. Everything I see online about Hurthle cells is bad, but my friend who also has Hashi's, says they are common in people with Hashi's. I have read Hurthle cell cancer does not react well to RAI treatment so am a little scared. Does anyone have any information about Hurthle cells and the watch and wait approach?

Last edited by amieelowe; 05-08-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: FNA results question for Thyroid Nodules

your friend is correct, it seems hurthle cells show up with hashi's
    I had an FNA that showed hurthle cells and got 1/2 my thyroid out. Once they tested it when it was out, it was benign. I have since read stuff that leads me to believe it's not as worrisome as I initially thought. My anti-bodies test shows that I have hashi's.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Pretty much agree with Rose. I suspect that Hurtle cells are only notable when it's a HURTLE CELL CARCINOMA oh my! Otherwise it's some hurtle cells found in the context of hashimoto's... exactly what you'd expect. (I'm thinking a thyroid cell that got run over by an antibody)

So then the doctor looks at the pathologists report and sees, blah hastimoto's blah hurtle cells blah blah and thinks, my patient has Hashimoto's!

Patient looks at the pathologists report sees Hurtle Cells, goes to the google and see... oh my god Cancer!

Anyway if your doctor and the pathologist isn't freaked out, then you're fine.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
    amieelowe
    (female)

amieelowe HB User

Thanks so much for your replies! One further question, can't all Hurthle cells change to malignant, or don't they all change eventually? So isn't just a good idea to get that half of the thyroid removed as a precaution? I just don't want to go to the dr. five years from now and be told, oops, too many hurthles; we need to take out right now! Then again, I tend to be hypervigilent of health issues, so not sure if I'm just a spaz or if this is a legitimate concern. My endo seems like he's 100 years old (even though he came highly recommended) and honestly, I'm not sure if I trust him.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Since the standard treatment for Hashimoto's is to leave the thyroid alone and treat any deficiency with meds, I'd say that cancer really isn't a big worry. Also the risks from thyroid surgery aren't negligible.

>My endo seems like he's 100 years old (even though he came highly recommended) and honestly, I'm not sure if I trust him

Well on one hand, old, on the other he's seen a lot of cases come through and thyroid disease management hasn't changed much in a long time. You could ask him. If he says, yeah I see that all the time and it's nothing, probably believe him.

PS: An old school endocrinologist is more likely to treat via labs and symptoms, which is supposed to be standard practice than a newly minted endocrinologist who's been trained to ignore symptoms.

Closed Thread

Tags
    fna, hashimoto thyroid disease, thyroid nodule