It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• adrenals and reverse t3?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User
    adrenals and reverse t3?

Does anyone have any advice on how to get your dr to get you a cortisol saliva test and your reverse t3 checked?

I was starting to feel good on naturethroid, then I got bronchitis. Immediately I felt exhausted again and even though I am completely recovered from the bronchitis, I feel absolutely terrible on my naturethroid. I'm thinking the bronchitis combined with chronic stress for a whole year now was the last straw for my adrenals.

The following user gives a hug of support to lakeshow24:
    nisreen1811 (05-13-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User
    Re: adrenals and reverse t3?

Help, I'm 23 years old and I feel like I'm wasting the best years of my life because of complete exhaustion all the time. I have unreal mental fogginess and can't stay awake for more than a few hours without wanting to fall asleep. This was never the case before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have done a complete 180 and am the total opposite of what I used to be like. I don't like the person I am becoming. The worst part is all the doctors that I have been to don't have any idea how to treat this. They think adrenal fatigue and exhaustion are myths. They think synthroid is the way to go and as long as the TSH is normal, you shouldn't have any problems.

I am completely panicking after suffering almost every day for a year now and am worried because recently I have been having some disturbing thoughts. Once again this is the complete opposite of the person I was for 21 years of my life. I have had UNEXPLAINED weight loss from 205 all the way down to 174 in less than a year since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. This is insane because I'm a gym junkie and used to workout like crazy. To comment further on the weight loss, I don't have hyperthyroidism so you can rule that out.

I seriously don't know what to do anymore. I can't keep living like this. I'm not motivated to accomplish anything anymore. I have no drive or passion in my life that is important to me. I used to be the happiest person I know. When asked who's the happiest person, everyone that knew me would respond with my name. I didn't come on here for attention. I created this post in hopes of finding somebody that may have gone through the same issues as me. I'm desperate to see if anybody can give me some advice. I live in the Maryland, DC, and virginia area so if anybody knows any endocrinologists that are experts in this field feel free to let me know.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Hi lakeshow, there are a lot of people on here who will relate to what you are going through. You can get those tests done privately but getting your doc to acknowledge the results is a whole different ball game. Endo's are also not always the best people to see they are very pedantic about labs not people unless you find a particularly good one who deals mostly in thyroid, prescribes natural dessicated and goes by frees not TSH. Rare as hens teeth!

Do a search for top thyroid docs in your area, check reviews and ask at your local pharmacy who prescribes dessicated thyroid meds, these docs are generally more proactive and go by symptoms but if you suspect adrenal fatigue you need to make sure you see one who recognises this. Naturopathic MD's are good in that area, again check reviews first.

Finding a good person to treat you is half the battle done in my opinion! Wish you the best with your search.

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    nisreen1811 (05-13-2013)
    Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I think the idea of asking my pharmacy which doctors prescribe natural desiccated thyroid would be a great place to start. I will do that. My question is do doctors that prescribe desiccated thyroid more likely to deal with adrenal fatigue? I seriously think that that is the reason why my naturethroid is not working. Also, do these tests for adrenal fatigue have a high accuracy rate? I ask this because some tests may tell you your TSH is fine, yet you still may have hypo symptoms.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

The problem with adrenal fatigue is that it is not widely recognised. Out of range low is obviously! The adrenal fatigue test is basically a cortisol blood test done preferably 4 times a day but the better option is the saliva cortisol testing and not a lot of docs go for this.

Naturopath MD's who use saliva testing for this are a good option but it takes some effort to find them. Some say live testing is not as reliable as bloods others say it is better than bloods. Very low in range cortisol is a sure sign your adrenals are in need of support, there are OTC supplements that can help this and there are also docs who prescribe short term cortisone meds to get back on track. This is why you need to do a lot of research to find the right one for you.

Hypo symptoms can exist with 'normal' TSH and because of lab ranges normal TSH can go as far as 5, this is not normal. A good TSH is between 1-1.8 for healthy people however, taking T4/T3 combo. Totally suppresses TSH number (or should if you are on the right dose) so using the TSH to go by, if your doc is doing this means you are not being treated optimally.

I am on a combi and my TSH is .05, my doc does not factor this in except to say it is being suppressed and that is what it is meant to do. We go by frees and symptoms though he is only addressing my own cortisol issue with supplements which is not having much effect do far!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

Wait a second, you said that your doctor is addressing the cortisol issue with otc supplements? I was under the impression that if you had adrenal issues, your thyroid meds would be ineffective. Can you still have some sort of relief even with adrenal issues?

I was actually starting to feel good on my naturethroid. In fact, I was starting to feel better than I ever felt in a year. Then the same week that I started feeling better, I got bronchitis. Ever since this thyroid issue, I've been getting sick very often. Once, I had bronchitis, I started feeling exhausted. I got on meds and my bronchitis was cured. The issue is that I'm still feeling utterly exhausted. I'm wondering if the latest illness (bronchitis) that I had could have done the damage to my adrenals even though before I got it, I was starting to feel great again. I think all the illnesses and stress for a whole year have taken its toll on my adrenals, but then again the only way to make sure is to get a 24 hour saliva cortisol test.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

Wait a second, you said that your doctor is addressing the cortisol issue with otc supplements? I was under the impression that if you had adrenal issues, your thyroid meds would be ineffective. Can you still have some sort of relief even with adrenal issues?

I was actually starting to feel good on my naturethroid. In fact, I was starting to feel better than I ever felt in a year. Then the same week that I started feeling better, I got bronchitis. Ever since this thyroid issue, I've been getting sick very often. Once, I had bronchitis, I started feeling exhausted. I got on meds and my bronchitis was cured. The issue is that I'm still feeling utterly exhausted. I'm wondering if the latest illness (bronchitis) that I had could have done the damage to my adrenals even though before I got it, I was starting to feel great again. I think all the illnesses and stress for a whole year have taken its toll on my adrenals, but then again the only way to make sure is to get a 24 hour saliva cortisol test.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

When people are on cortisone and get sick the objective is to increase the dose as when you are unwell/fighting illness it calls the body to produce more cortisol. A healthy persons adrenal will respond to the demand, struggling adrenals can't so upping meds is recommended for surgery, sickness, high stress etc.

Yes, adrenals and thyroid can be treated at the same time but it takes longer as the adrenals have to be functioning well.
    Keeping iron at an optimal level works, calcium selenium and zinc, vit c vit d etc along with a specific adrenal supplement can all assist.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
    telus
    Inactive
    (male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

lake -
    need more info --- Why did you get on Naturethroid? What dose are you taking? What are you lab readings (include units)?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I am currently on 3 grains of naturethroid. I got on a few months ago after being on synthroid for about a year. Overall I feel MUCH better on naturethroid.

Thanks for your reply! I found the blood work. This was on 2.5 grains. I had used the 2.5 grains for 11 days prior to the labs (Was on 2 grains before).

Iron and TIBC:
    Iron bind. cap. (TIBC) 307 (250-450)
    UIBC 207 (150-375)
    Iron, serum 100 (40-155)
    Iron saturation 33% (15-55)

FT4 1.34 (.82-1.77)
    TSH .223 (.450-4.5) This was expected
    T3 107 (71-180)
    FT3 3.7 (2-4.4)

Cortisol 23 (8am 8-19) Slightly high but I think it'll go down so it shouldn't affect me too much

I just got bronchitis, and combined with the stress I've felt all year and the constant illnesses, I'm pretty sure my adrenals are messed up. To update this, these symptoms are not in my head. This has never happened to me. I felt extremely light headed, dizzy, and confused. I knew I was physically there but I did not feel like I was controlling my body. I started panicking and kept telling my friends that I felt terrible. . I'm planning on getting these adrenal tests done next week along with a reverse t3 test. I feel ok now, just extremely exhausted.

Last edited by lakeshow24; 05-10-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
    lakeshow24
    (male)

lakeshow24 HB User

I am currently on 3 grains of naturethroid. I got on a few months ago after being on synthroid for about a year. Overall I feel MUCH better on naturethroid. I truly wish I started on naturethroid, as I believe the synthroid further damaged my adrenals with all the stress of not feeling remotely close to normal.

Thanks for your reply! I found the blood work. This was on 2.5 grains:

Iron and TIBC:
    Iron bind. cap. (TIBC) 307 (250-450)
    UIBC 207 (150-375)
    Iron, serum 100 (40-155)
    Iron saturation 33% (15-55)

FT4 1.34 (.82-1.77)
    TSH .223 (.450-4.5) This was expected
    T3 107 (71-180)
    FT3 3.7 (2-4.4)

Cortisol 23 (8am 8-19) Slightly high but I think it'll go down so it shouldn't affect me too much

I just got bronchitis, and combined with the stress I've felt all year and the constant illnesses, I'm pretty sure my adrenals are messed up. To update this, these symptoms are not in my head. Earlier today I literally felt like collapsing while out with friends. This has never happened to me. I felt extremely light headed, dizzy, and confused. I knew I was physically there but I did not feel like I was controlling my body. I started panicking and kept telling my friends that I felt terrible. I'm planning on getting these adrenal tests done next week along with a reverse t3 test. I feel ok now, just extremely exhausted.

Last edited by lakeshow24; 05-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
    telus
    Inactive
    (male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

Lakeshow24

3 grains Naturethroid contains 114 mcg T4 and 27 mcg T3
    2.5 grains contains 95 mcg T4 and 23 mcg T3
    2 grains contains 76 mcg T4 and 18 mcg T3.

Now looking at the labs that you posted:
    TSH 0.223 is lower than median for males (1.29)
    FT4 1.34 is higher than median for males (1.1)
    FT3 3.7 is higher than median for males (3.11)
    So these labs are leaning to the hyper side, not hypo.

Now you said that these labs were taken after 11 days on 2.5 grains (2 grains before that). It takes 4 weeks for the FT4 to stabilize after you change dose, so after 11 days you are only part way there – so these labs do not reflect the 2.5 grains dose, they reflect something less than 2.5 grains.

AND you subsequently went to 3 grains – so there is a good chance that 3 grains is too much. Therefore it is a good thing that you are going to get a Reverse T3 test – if it is high, then that would indicate to me that your Naturethroid dose is too high. (I assume that you know something about RT3, but just in case, have a look at my reply to JennaN61 on the thread “ VERY low TSH” yesterday.)

I would agree with you that there is a good chance that your adrenal glands are messed up, and have a lot to do with the symptoms you are having now. If they got that way back when you were on the synthroid, they cannot get back to normal if you are pushing too hard on the Naturethroid. You would have to backoff on the naturethroid and use supplements to “support” your adrenals – and I hate to tell you – it is not going to be fast.

When you get the RT3 test, be sure to get TSH, FT4 and FT3 at the same time.
    Good luck…

Closed Thread