It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal to have good days and bad days?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User
    Normal to have good days and bad days?

I had a blood test done last week and am likely hyperthyroid (TSH below .006, free T4 high, T3 uptake high). For the last few months, I have mostly been exhausted during my daily runs (6-7 miles), but for today and the last few days, I have only felt mildly sluggish and exhausted and have only had to take a few breaks. Is it normal for hyperT symptoms to wane like this, or is it a sign that it's actually going away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User
    Re: Normal to have good days and bad days?

There are people I've met over the years who are Hypo and have been on the exact same dose of Synthroid for 20 years, and all is well for them. Then there are the rest of us who get our blood work checked several times a year because our bodies are not functioning the same day to day even though we remain on the same dose.

I'm a runner also. I do pretty much the same route most runs. I use a GPS sportwatch to record my distance & pace... I sometimes compare how I was doing to my blood test results.

When my TSH is at the high end of the range (Above or near the top 20% of the range...meaning I'm even more Hypo), I'm sluggish and distances are shorter. When my TSH is around the low 20% of the range (meaning I'm less Hypo), I'm fast and my distances are longer. When my TSH is below the range (meaning my TSH is pretty much suppressed), I'm again sluggish and tired, which sounds somewhat similar to your situation.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BikerDude View Post
    There are people I've met over the years who are Hypo and have been on the exact same dose of Synthroid for 20 years, and all is well for them. Then there are the rest of us who get our blood work checked several times a year because our bodies are not functioning the same day to day even though we remain on the same dose.

I'm a runner also. I do pretty much the same route most runs. I use a GPS sportwatch to record my distance & pace... I sometimes compare how I was doing to my blood test results.

When my TSH is at the high end of the range (Above or near the top 20% of the range...meaning I'm even more Hypo), I'm sluggish and distances are shorter. When my TSH is around the low 20% of the range (meaning I'm less Hypo), I'm fast and my distances are longer. When my TSH is below the range (meaning my TSH is pretty much suppressed), I'm again sluggish and tired, which sounds somewhat similar to your situation.
    Yep, that is exactly how I feel. I've also been running the same routes since I started running in 2004, and ever since my thyroid issues began about 3 months ago, I've had to start taking breaks after 20-25 minutes. But what is weird is that I'll have really bad days and then not-so-bad days. For the last few days I have felt alright (not really energetic, but not more than moderately sluggish) and haven't severely needed to take a break. Of course, I'm sure the more severe symptoms will become noticeable in a day or two.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
    Hedgehog25
    (male)

Hedgehog25 HB User

Well, over the last few days, I have continued to feel not so bad when running -- it doesn't really feel like the thyroid problems have gone away, but I just feel mild-to-moderately sluggish and haven't really had to take any breaks since early last week. Of course, the weather has also been pretty cool and dry, so maybe that has something to do with it. On the other hand, the weather was cool and dry when I first started experiencing severe symptoms in early February, so I don't know what to think.

Does anyone else's hyperthyroidism ever seem to go away for a week and then come back?

Closed Thread