It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Goiter that shrinks and swells

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
    118leopolde
    (female)

118leopolde HB User
    Goiter that shrinks and swells

I just wanted to ask have any users any experience of the above- I have a goiter that shrinks and swells through the day. Evening times it appears more swollen and stressful periods.I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid 2011 on 50 mgs of levothyroxine ever since. It is quite noticeable and the endiocrine I am dealing with seems baffled by the fluctuations in size but has noticed it at appointments. I have symptoms at times ranging from tiredness to shakes tremors and anxiety ,etc and my antibodies have been tested positive. I am currently on waiting list for ultrasound to check for nodules etc. i get thyroid bloods done every 3 months and all my levels at present have came in within range. ( endiocrine and doctor have reviewed these) help has anyone had this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Goiter that shrinks and swells

Goiters can change size in response to the blood levels of thyroid hormones. It can be a sign that the pituitary is asking it to make more hormone. It can also be a sign of TPO, Tg, or TSI antibody inflammation.

Having levels merely "within range" is absolutely no guarantee that those are the optimal levels for your body. Your 50 mcg dose is the lowest therapeutic one there is. It's quite likely you actually need more than that and that your balking thyroid gland is letting you know it.

If you want to post those "normal" levels here, we can help you determine if they're optimal for you.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
    118leopolde
    (female)

118leopolde HB User

Great thank you will do that's very useful to know.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User

I believe I'm experiencing the same thing.

I found a nodule a few weeks ago. Did the ultrasound and even biopsy. It came back as follicular neoplasm. My thyroid has always been "in range" and I've NEVER been treated....even though I've told dr's SOMETHING IS WRONG!! Hair falling out, gaining weight, all those kinds of things.

My ANA came back positive for some sort of autoimmune disease. I FINALLY found an ENT that is treating ME....not the numbers. He put me on 88mcgs of Synthroid last week. And I feel 100% better.

AND.....my thyroid has shrunk down. I can even tell. The huge lump I felt, even on the outside of my throat, is more or less gone. Now, whether it stays like that, time will tell. But the medicine made all the difference in the world!! So I would have them definitely check your dosage. May need to be different!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
    118leopolde
    (female)

118leopolde HB User

Thanks KAJ92, when you say follicular neoplasm are they stating its a suspicious nodule?From my reading I always associated that with malignancy which is alittle concerning. I have had my goiter for ten years my local doctor kept sending me away every time i asked to get it monitored! anyway when i became pregnant in 2011 it increased and bloods where done and i started the levothyroxine ( my child was actually born with a birth disorder). I am currently on a waiting list for endiocrine and chasing it as best I can. My last blood tests 3rd may Tsh was 3.82 , serum free t4 was 16.0 and thyroid antibodies was 50. (The Uk ranges show my tsh was in range ) and T4 for medication level.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User

Well, my original ENT, who I started all this with, Said a "neoplasm" is just a growth of some sort. Follicular cells. He is "90% sure" it's just an adenoma." He made sure to say "could it be cancer?..yes. .....but I very confident these nodules are adenomas". And he told me to come back in 6 months for a follow up.

Wasn't good enough for me. On to 2nd Ent...for 2nd opinion.

This last one seemed fantastic. He was optimistic, yet concerned. Strange thing is, this "huge" lump I'm worried about, didn't bother him as much as a little 5mm one on the opposite side that shows calcification on the ultrasound. He said the same thing though in terms of "follicular neoplasm". Its basically not even a result. Because they would need the whole thyroid to see if it was cancer or not. For sure it's follicular cells growing/overgrowing where they shouldn't be. But I have 7 nodules total, and now a positive ANA, plus all the hypothyroid symptoms. Most likely Hashimotos. This new ENT said it was no rush for surgery. Said its a very good chance none of these are cancerous. So we are going to re-evaluate in september for the surgery issue. BUT..........I feel it is a good sign that after just 4 days of Synthroid, my "huge lump" I was feeling, is around 80% smaller. Still there a tiny bit, but I have to work to find it. Which makes me think (hope) that means its probably benign. Hoping the others are too!

my TSH was 2.5. Which isn't outrageous. But it is for me!! I've never been over a 1.9. So this ENT knew something was up, and started the synthroid to suppress things, calm my thyroid down, and best case scenario, shrink nodules!

keep bugging the doctors. Thats what I finally did. In fact, I got the the point, I actually called them out on their crap. Made them realize i'm not stupid, and I know they are doing the minimum needed to treat me. So they did more tests...reluctantly. And gee..what do you know...thats when we found the positive ANA. Jerks. The patient shouldn't have to beg for tests or procedures. A decent doctor would KNOW and not give up till they figure it out. GRRRRRRR. It's my newest pet peeve.

So keep on them. Don't take their passive answers if you are concerned about something. . Especially when you KNOW something is going on. TELL them to test certain things, if need be. Make em' work for their money. If things are swelling and shrinking, they should be able to give you a reason why! That's their job!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
    118leopolde
    (female)

118leopolde HB User

thanks for your reply, and sorry it has taken me so long to respond. i have been chasing doctors about my dosage and trying to get it increased. There is a six month referral wait on endio my local GP will not adjust dosage at all despite my symptoms. They then tell you they will give you anxiety meds to deal with symptoms i am lost? I feel like telling them just to ***** their ears up, i will stop meds until they correctly diagnose me! Has anyone had any success fast tracking them to do something? thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
    118leopolde
    (female)

118leopolde HB User
    Exclamation Re: Goiter that shrinks and swells

apologises folks i typo'd above ( it should have wrote - I feel like telling them to just to raise their ears up) no inappropriate words where used!

Closed Thread