It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal TSH, high Free T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
    ShengXiao
    (female)

ShengXiao HB User
    Normal TSH, high Free T4

Hi, guys. My name is Kaylie and I'm new to the board. I'm also in need of help so if you can help, I'll be forever grateful to you.

So recently, I have shown several symptoms of hyperthyroidism--fatigue, loss of hair, weight loss. At first, I haven't particularly shown concern about these. My body physique falls in slim to thin category, but when my weight dropped from 46 to 39 kg in just two weeks (I'm 5'4". I know, my BMI is messed up), I felt disturbed. Also with the hair loss, even with hair treatments, it was getting worse. I also have several chest pains, lasting about 3 to 5 minutes. My appetite has increased so I couldn't understand why I was always feeling like I didn't eat for a day and feel all weak. And aside from weakness, I couldn't tolerate the heat and I'm always feeling hot even when it's not. Like I'm having a fever. I'm always itchy too, and it gets worse when I sweat. My sleeping pattern was also affected. I couldn't sleep, and when I do, I don't sleep very long. I always wake up panting and when I finally fainted (a first for me), I decided to seek medical help.

I told what I've been feeling to the doctor, and they're skeptical at first, thinking I have depression or some teen thing going on. I can't really blame them. I look dazed when I went there for consultation. They made me have several tests--ECG, hematology, urinalysis, TSH and Free T4. Despite my blood sugar being low, my hematology, and urinalysis came out okay although my ECG said

Quote:
    QRS(T) CONTOUR ABNORMALITY
    CONSISTENT WITH HIGH LATERAL INFARCT
    PROBABLY OLD
    I still don't know what that meant. Does it mean something anyway?

Then my TSH and Free T4 results were also released. My TSH is 3.410 with a reference range of 0.35-5.50uIU/ml and my free T4 was 14.770 with a reference range of 0.89-1.76 ng/dl. The method used for testing was direct chemiluminescence.

They prescribed methimazole and asked me to come back for a follow up after a month. A month.

I came after two weeks because the meds had an adverse effect on me. I always throw up, and my allergies had gone worse to the point that I couldn't already breathe. Also, I developed jaundice. My skin and the whites of my eyes were yellowish in color and my puke tastes bitter as hell.

When we came back, it was a different doctor that assisted me, and asked me why I was taking anti-thyroid when my TSH is normal. I was like 'WTH, I wouldn't take it if it weren't for your colleague's advice.' They tested for my free T4 again, this time using electrochemiluminescence immunoassay, and it yielded 29.57 with a reference range of 12-22 pmol/l. She made me stop the meds and prescribed metoclopramide instead. For my puking.

I'm thinking of going to another doctor because the last one was so adamant on telling me I'm a depressed teen and that I have no hyperthyroidism.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    help for thyroid, hyperthyroidism, thyroid