It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroidism during pregnancy and the consequences

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
    layla dane
    (female)

layla dane HB User
    Hypothyroidism during pregnancy and the consequences

hello
    so, I am trying to get off levothyroxine treatment now, but here is how I got here.
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the 4th month of pregnancy. Had no other symptoms but a really bad headache with nausea, which you all know is kind of regular in pregnant women. My obgyn sent me to an endocrinologist for tests since I had an abruption of the fetal sac earlier (in gestational week 7) and she wanted to check me cloesly. I had TSH 7,31 ulU/ml (0,34-5,60) and FT4 7,97 pmol/l (7,9-14,4). They put me on a 0,25 mg levothyroxine than gradually started increasing my dose to 0,50 mg and told me I have to have tests monthly. I never had any problems with my thyroid before but also I have never had any test done before. On the next test I had TSH 3,47 and FT4 7,04 (same reference ranges) and started taking 0,75 mg. Next results came out TSH 1,64 and FT4 8,36 - I stayed on the same amount of levothyroxine - 0,75 mg. The following month I had TSH 1,55 and FT4 7,43, continued treatment with 0,75mg levothyroxine daily. The next month I was in the 9th month of pregnancy and the results were TSH 2,45 and FT4 6,70. My endocrinologist prescribed me 100 mg levothyroxine a day. By that time I was not feeling well at all - was anxious and angry at everyone all the time, sweating excessively like never before and had pains in my chest. I had an idea I might be overdosing on the levothyroxine but since these symptoms can be connected with just being pregnant in the 9th month and the delivery was expected really soon I didn`t have another test. My endocrinologist also thought I don`t need one and told me to have another one 40 days after delivery. I gave birth to a healthy baby but had a severe hemorrhage due to an abrupted pacenta, so I had to undergo an urgent c-section. We were planning for a natural birth and had no medical issues or any other concerns. There was no gynecological or logical reason for the abruption, I have never smoked, nor done drugs, had a perfect blood pressure, I am 26, this is my first pregnancy and overall I`ve lead a pretty healthy life before and during pregnancy.
    Right after delivery I reduced the levothyroxine to 0,75 mg as my doctor prescribed.
    2 weeks after delivery I had a test, since I didn`t want to wait more. The results were TSH 0,29 mU/l (0,35-4,2) and FT4 16,3 pmol/l (7,5-21,1). I called with the results and my doctor said I can reduce it by first trying takin 0,50mg and the 0,25mg. I took 0,50 for a week and then reduced it to 0,25. I was supposed to have a test on the 30th of April so I stopped taking it on the
    28 cause I was feeling great and still was sweating whenever I take it and feel more nervous. But I couldn`t go in for a test cause my doctor was on a vacation, so I had a test yesterday. They tested only my TSH and it came out 8,8 (0,34-5,6). I should say I feel better when I am not taking the pill and have no complaints. I will go tomorrow and have it tested again together with the FT4 cause I don`t want them to diagnose me on the TSH level alone.
    My concerns are about my breastfeeding cause I know lactation has a lot to do with hormones and I am really worried that this high level of TSH or the whole hormonal situation might interfere with it. I would be grateful for any advice or information on that matter. The other thing that concerns me is that maybe the gland needs a little more time for recovery cause it became "lazy". I had no previous history of any problems with my thyroid at all and am looking forward to getting rid of the pills as I`m sure anyone would. I would be so thankful for any advice or information on tests, ideas for treatment or whatever you would think helpful. Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

Last edited by layla dane; 05-14-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    breastfeeding, hemorrhage, hypothyroidism, levothyroxine, pregnancy