It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Reference range for antibodies. Is my thyroid ok?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
    sub7
    (male)

sub7 HB User
    Reference range for antibodies. Is my thyroid ok?

Hi,

I did blood test for 2 thyroid antibodies tests and the reference range looks different than what I see in this board (and on other sites). Is this because of the unit? Or did the lab do something wrong?

My results:
    Thyroglobulin auto antibody -- my value <0.9, Units: IU/mL, Reference Range 0.0-4.0
    Thyroid Peroxidase Auto Ab -- my value 0.8, Units: IU/mL, Reference Range 0.0-9.0

From what I saw on the board, the ref range for Thyroglobulin auto antibody is something like < 20 and the ref range for Thyroid Peroxidase Auto Ab is something like < 35. Is the unit different?

I guess I am normal, right?

The reason I am asking my doctor to do these tests is because my TSH fluctuate a lot. I have symptoms of hyper and hypothyroid in the past few months.

In Dec - Jan, I lost 20 Lbs and felt hot and from Feb to now I regained the 20 lbs that I lost.

I am having a lot of anxiety, I sweat a lot. I also feel hot all the time. I feel I have pain around the neck also. All my symptoms started in Dec 2012.

The doctor checked my thyroid and told me it is normal.

The most recent (Apr/9/2013) result is:
    TSH: 2.87mIU/L
    Total T3: 113 ng/dL
    Free T4: 0.99 ng/dL

Also, my TSH fluctuate a bit during these months.
    TSH on 12/13/2012: 0.695
    TSH on 12/26/2012: 3.180
    TSH on 2/22/2012: 1.940

Based on these numbers, can I say my thyroid is very normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Reference range for antibodies. Is my thyroid ok?

The reference range depends on the testing method and you should trust the range Your lab uses. You have some TPOAbs but that may not mean anything - or maybe something really is up, not everyone with Hashi's tests positive for thyroid Abs. Too bad you didn't get TSI or TRAb tested, there might be some TSH receptor Abs messing with your thyroid.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Closed Thread