It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help understanding my lab results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
    vonny123
    (female)

vonny123 HB User
    Help understanding my lab results

Hi there. Last week I went to the doctor's to get checked out; while there she ordered a TSH test. Yesterday, I had to go back for a follow-up appointment, and was pretty surprised to see that my TSH results were drastically different.

5/6 TSH test 13.05 (standard range given was 0.10 - 5.50 uIU/mL)
    5/14 TSH test 5.31 (standard range given was 0.10 - 5.50 uIU/mL)
    5/14 Free T4 1.0 (standard range given was 0.8-1.7 ng/dL)

Additional Info: The doctors also suspect that I have systemic lupus based on the results of my ANA tests >> my anti-dsDNA came back negative but my Antibodies to Sm to came back positive.

Anyone out there that can shed some light on my Thyroid labwork? Thank you so very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Help understanding my lab results

Regardless of the fluctuation in TSH, it looks like you are hypothyroid. Since you are suspected of having lupus (anti-Smith antibody is ver specific for it), I would want to find out if the thyroid problem is also autoimmune, Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I would want anti-thyroid antibodies (anti-TPO and anti-TG) checked. You will likely feel better energy wise when started on some thyroid replacement.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
    vonny123
    (female)

vonny123 HB User
    Re: Help understanding my lab results

Thank you so much Ms Ladybud for your advice; this is something I'll definitely follow up, thank you again - I greatly appreciate it. BTW, my anti-Smith antibody did come back positive, which indicates SLE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Regardless of the fluctuation in TSH, it looks like you are hypothyroid. Since you are suspected of having lupus (anti-Smith antibody is ver specific for it), I would want to find out if the thyroid problem is also autoimmune, Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I would want anti-thyroid antibodies (anti-TPO and anti-TG) checked. You will likely feel better energy wise when started on some thyroid replacement.

Closed Thread