It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I need help for hypothyroidism, but I have NO HEALTH INSURANCE!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
    DoryinAz
    (female)

DoryinAz HB User
    Unhappy I need help for hypothyroidism, but I have NO HEALTH INSURANCE!

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year. I took the medications ordered, and was declared "healthy" by my doctor) I now have no health insurance, and my symptoms have not only reappeared, but have gotten much worse. They are...loose toenails, brittle fingernails, hair loss, asymmetrical eyes (one is swollen and painful, and the other has a droopy eyelid), inability to lose weight in spite of dieting, heat intolerance, dry, flaky skin, and, now, serious depression.

No doctor will see me without insurance. Are there natural medicines I can use to restore my health???Can somebody guide me through this??? My brain is getting foggier by the day...and my depression is also escalating....I am scared, sick, and need guidance. Thankyou to anybody who can guide me to natural cures that I can afford....because it looks like I will have to fix myself.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-15-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: I need help for hypothyroidism, but I have NO HEALTH INSURANCE!

Unfortunately, there are no DIY fixes for most cases of hypothyroidism. It's usually caused by the autoimmune disease known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which results in a permanently damaged thyroid gland. There are no 'support' products you can buy that will undo that damage and allow the gland to begin making hormone again. Replacement of the missing hormone is the only treatment.

How about public health clinics in your area? Uncomplicated hypoT is not a particularly expensive disease, as disease go. Once you get past the lab tests and find your best dose, the meds are cheap. And once you find the right dose, you only need to get rechecked once a year. Maybe you can shop around for an MD who'll treat you on a cash basis at the discounted insurance rate? Sorry... I have no other suggestions. Hope someone else has some ideas for you.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I agree with Midwest, try to find a doc that will see you on a self pay basis. I too have no insurance, so I feel your frustration. Here in TX however it is not hard to find a doctor to treat as long as you have the money to pay and a lot of times they will give a cash discount.
    My meds are not that bad as far as cost, the compounded T3 is the most expensive and it runs me about 35 a month, my T4 med is Unithroid and it is now only $4 a month, used to be about 11. So it isn't like it will cost hundreds for the meds a month, it is just finding a doctor that will listen and treat you on a self pay basis. Call around, there is bound to be someone that will take you in. Keep us posted.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Yes check with your social services and they will point you in the right direction. They should give you info on free clinics and such. Cathy

Closed Thread

Tags
    hypothyroid treatment, hypothyroidism and depression