It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Still feeling horrible and tired

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
    madonnis
    (female)

madonnis HB User
    Still feeling horrible and tired

I got my new labs which were TSH 1.47 Range (0.36-3.74
    FT4 1.1 Range (0.76-1.46)
    They tell me WNL and no med increase. I feel so tired most of the time. My midsection always bothers me as i think im just chronically constipated. Have been taking Miralax for that but if i stop so do my bathroom habits. I have been getting pain in my chest recently off and on and dizzy spells still and feeling weak. My feet hurt and i just keep being hungry and gaining more weight. Everyone says just exercise and eat better. Its hard to do when you have no energy and are hungry all the time. I have been trying to exercise when i feel good enough. Do these labs sound normal? I feel terrible and just think that my thyroid is the problem here whether the doctor thinks so or not. I feel wore out just like before i got on the meds. When i went to Doc last time he just kind of blew me off on the thyroid thing. He seems to think if it is WNL that it cant possibly be why i feel like junk. Can anyone recommend a good Dr. in my area, one that will listen to symptoms and not just numbers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
    LisaKatrina
    (female)

LisaKatrina HB User
    Re: Still feeling horrible and tired

I think you should have additional tests to see where your Free T3 level is, and also be tested for Vitamin D levels. My vitamin D levels were low and I felt really tired, and this improved once I started on a good Vitamin D supplement. It also helps to make sure your daily vitamin has a higher level of B vitamins for energy - most good brands for women do. The constipation is really common with thyroid issues. Miralax is really good, along with adding ground flax into your diet. I also take stool softeners every evening. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of your symptoms, and find a doctor who is more willing to work with you. Try to find an osteopathic doctor - they seem to deal more with how you are feeling as a whole.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You can try gentle persuasion. Tell your MD that you know these levels are WNL, but that you'd like to try lowering TSH a little and raising FT4 a little. Insist that you wouldn't want to go outside normal limits yourself, but that perhaps your "normal" is a little different than the mainstream. Ask to try a tiny dose increase to see if it helps. If he refuses, you won't get anywhere with him. At that point, it would be better to cut your losses and go doctor shopping.

There's no reason you shouldn't be allowed a target TSH of 1 or slightly lower. That's still well within the range. Again, if he refuses, find someone who knows better.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User

I'd suggest that you would be better off with a slightly higher dosage in order to bring your TSH down a bit more and your FT4 up.

If you can't get an increase in meds, then the alternative is to make your body support your current dosage a bit better. Exercise is always the #1 item (but don't over do it... i.e., walking is better than running), #2 would be vitamins (like D, E, C, B as well as Omega 3s & selenium), and #3 is food intake... avoid/reduce those foods that have a negative effect on your thyroid and as well cause inflammation (like Soy, Gluten, some dairy, some veggies, etc). Finally take your Thyroid med on an empty stomach at the same time each day and don't eat or drink (other than water) for non less than 50 mins following.

All the best.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I agree with all the others comments. Would definitely ask to have Free T3 tested as I'm assuming you are on T4 only med? Vit D and B12 supplements were a big help for me and adding magnesium everyday really helped with the constipation.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
    madonnis
    (female)

madonnis HB User

okay im posting all my labs that i have from 2007 on. I dont understand enough to tell if they have improved or gotten worse or yo-yo. Here they are.

Started out in January 07 with TSH of 1.37 and FT4 o.7
    4/17/08 TSH was 1.71 and FT4 0.8, 10/14/09 TSH 0.89 no FT4 done, 4/2/10 TSH 1.54 and FT4 1.0, nothing in 2001 as i was feeling pretty good and lost weight even and then my most recent was TSH 1.47 and FT4 was 1.1. The reference range for these is 0.34-4.82 for TSH and 0.59-1.85 for FT4. I have had various symptoms and complaints with each time i had it checked as that is why they did a check each time because i went in with complaints of being tired and not feeling well. So according to these numbers does it look like 50 mcg of levothyroxine should be keeping me feeling well? I just dont really understand the numbers and which way they should be going. Any help with this would be appreciated. I am trying to find a new doctor who is more understanding but i need to be more knowledgable before i try to explain to him why i think i need an increase in my meds.

Closed Thread