It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 5 days after partial thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
    Matock
    (female)

Matock HB User
    5 days after partial thyroidectomy

family Dr. found a lump on my thyroid and sent me for an ultra sound. Ultra sound found that nodule was suspicious and needed further investigation so Dr. sent me to a general surgeon who specializes in thyroid disorders. This Dr. decided that I needed to have an ultra sound guided aspiration biopsy which resulted in a diagnosis of Follicular Neoplasm and the 3cm nodule was fully encased in the right lobe of my thyroid. It was determined that the right lobe needed to be removed and sent to Pathology for further testing.
    On May 16 I had the right lobe removed, stayed in the hospital for one night, had blood work done and if it was ok could go home. I was discharged so blood work must have been ok, and told to make appointment with surgeon in 6 weeks from surgery date. Dr said that left lobe should pick up so I am hoping that it will. 5 days after my surgery I have developed a itchy and sore rash around the back of neck, also my fingers, toes and my head seem to be tingling and I have been congested since surgery. I am not sure if this is normal.....when I called Surgeon's office to make appointment and to let them know about the rash, assistant said she would let Dr. know and then call me back.
    Can anyone tell me if these symptoms are normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
    anegale
    (female)

anegale HB User
    Smile Re: 5 days after partial thyroidectomy

From what I've read, it sounds like perhaps one or more of your parathyroid glands were irritated. They do normally go into a bit of shock with such an operation. This should pass soon. I had such a reaction which lasted just a few days. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to anegale For This Useful Post:
    Matock (05-21-2013)
    Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
    Matock
    (female)

Matock HB User
    Re: 5 days after partial thyroidectomy

Just got home from Dr. office and he said that rash looked like it was caused by the bandage adhesive. He also said that everything looked good but he has not gotten blood work back or pathology report. Would let me know when he does.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
    Matock
    (female)

Matock HB User

It has been one week today since partial thyroidectomy. Still have a rash today and it seems to be getting redder. Have been applying hydro cortisone cream with no results. I seem to be feeling a little tired, besides the itching of the rash so hopefully recovery is going ok. My incision is red, sore and raised but it has only been one week so hopefully this is normal.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
    asm505
    (female)

asm505 HB User

I can't comment on the rash but I had a partial TT on March 25th and yesterday they went in and took the remaining because of cancer. My incision was sore (not extremely but mainly when I swallowed) and raised for weeks afterwards. I hope you feel better everyday.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
    asm505
    (female)

asm505 HB User

Also, I used a scar cream on mine as soon as the scab went away. It was looking pretty good but now they used the same incision so I am back to square one! I remember finding a blog online of a woman that posted pics of her incision at different points in her recovery and I remember that helped me know that mine was pretty normal, but understand that everyone is different and heals differently too.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
    Matock
    (female)

Matock HB User
    Smile Re: 5 days after partial thyroidectomy

Thanks for the information I am feeling pretty good today, incision is still a bit sore(more when I swallow as well). I am still waiting for the pathology report to find if the left side has to be removed(hopefully not).
    I am hoping to go back to work in about a week, even though I am not scheduled to see my Dr. for a month. I will have to watch for hypo symptoms as if the left side does not pick up I am assuming that this is the way it will go.

Closed Thread