It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Confused about thyroglobulin. Help! Please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User
    Confused about thyroglobulin. Help! Please!

My doctor ran blood tests yesterday. The only ones that hadn't been done in the last month were Thyroglobulin, and a thyroglobulin antibody? (I think is what she said...she hurried me off the phone so fast!)

Anyway, she said the thyroglobulin one is a "tumor marker". GREAT! UGH! But since I still have my thyroid, can they use it as that? I thought it was only for when you have your thyroid out, they want that number to be almost 0?

So with me still having a thyroid, will it still show cancer (if I have it) on this thyroglobulin blood test?

For about 24 hrs I thought I could kind of relax....now THIS!!

(I've had an ultrasound and biopsy already....biopsy came back as FLUS. Re-evaluating in late August or sometime in September. Also on 88mcg of Synthroid, as of 2 weeks ago!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Confused about thyroglobulin. Help! Please!

It's just for reference post surgery (if you have tg antibodies tg isn't always a good tumor marker either way). Thyroglobulin measures THYROID TISSUE, so obviously if you have a thyroid it will be high. If you had your thyroid removed for cancer, and then RAI to ablate remaining tissue, it would indicate thyroid tissue is there. It doesn't measure cancer.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
    kaj92
    (female)

kaj92 HB User
    Re: Confused about thyroglobulin. Help! Please!

Thank you!!!

Then this nurse I talked to is STUPID!! Cause when I asked flat out on the phone "can this test your doing, the thyroglobulin or whatever, say if there's cancer anywhere in my thyroid"?..she said "the thyroglobulin is a tumor marker, yes". And I really REALLY wanted to correct her, just based on everything I've read. But I didn't say anything. Because like I said, she seemed to be in such a hurry to get me off the phone, I just kinda gave up. This kinda crap really makes me mad. It's no wonder why so many people worry needlessly half the time!!

So I guess if this antibody thing comes back positive, what does that mean for me?

Closed Thread