It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please look at my test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
    mjmjam2002
    (female)

mjmjam2002 HB User
    Please look at my test results

Hi, I was wondering if you guys would mind looking at my results and tell me what you think. I am 100% new to this, and I have only started "researching" it in the last two days. Your wisdom and advice is greatly appreciated.
    I have many many symptoms of hypothyroidism, I've complained multiple times to my doctor who will check my iron, check tsh and nothing is ever to abnormal. I had him check my thyroid more in depth and here are the results. Still in the normal so he says I would be worse off if I added in thyroid medication. His idea is that I need to be tested for sleep apnea.

I'm not sure if I should go into my symptoms right now so I'm just going to post my labs. I would appreciate any and all insights. If symptoms are needed please let me know.

OH I just saw a ENT for my terrible hearing who mentioned something about thyroid stuff. <just wanted to mention this.

IRON 56 (30 - 180) ug/dL
    TIBC 399 (260 - 490) ug/dL
    Iron Saturation 14 (15 - 50) %

TSH 2.43 (0.45 - 5.10) uIU/mL
    T3 FREE 2.8 (2.3 - 4.2) pg/mL
    T4 FREE 0.7 (0.6 - 1.6) ng/dL
    T4 7.7 (4.7 - 11.3) ug/dL

Decided to add symptoms.
    *Fatigue, I am so exhausted. I feel like I am walking around with lead in my limbs. I am so utterly drained but unable to sleep. When I do fall asleep it doesn't feel like I slept at all.
    *sometimes I get so cold that no matter how many blankets, hoodies, socks I pile on I cannot get warm. I just get a cold sweat, the only way to fix it, is a hot bath/shower.
    *I have been losing my hair since pregnant with my daughter in 2008. I have had bouts of burning scalp feelings since then as well.
    *Feeling like I'm not all there, like I'm disconnected in a fog.
    *Always been overweight, but have always maintained lately I keep going up, few pounds here and there even though I'm keeping myself in check. Watching what I eat.
    *After exercise I am beat, I thought it was supposed to give you energy but for me its not.
    * I don't rub my eyes anymore, I used to a lot but now it bothers me to touch my eyes, they hurt.
    *My throat has felt like there was something in it for years. Especially when I look down, its hard to swallow.
    *dry skin no matter how much I rub lotion on it.
    *I wouldn't say depression but anxiety for sure.

My 18 month old daughter died in 2010. She went to sleep for a nap and never woke again, no reason for her death was found. They diagnosed her as SUDC. Sudden unexplained death in childhood. Don't know if this is relevant but figured I would mention it.

Last edited by mjmjam2002; 05-24-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: add symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Please look at my test results

First, please accept my sympathy on the death of your daughter. It must be a simply terrible experience, and I'm sorry you had to go through it. It makes me wonder if your doctor is being too quick to dismiss any physical reasons for your symptoms and is perhaps wrongly assuming they're from depression following your loss.

That said, I think you probably are hypothyroid and would benefit from treatment. The average healthy person has TSH around 1, no higher than 2, usually. Using those lab ranges, their free T4 would be at least 1.1 up to 1.3; free T3 would be at least 3.3 to 3.8. You can see how your free Ts are at the bottoms of their ranges. That's too low to be optimal for the majority of people.

You should pursue a diagnosis. You may not get it from your current doctor, considering how he's not seeing it now. If you feel he's receptive to your suggestions, you could point out the low-range free Ts and ask for a trial of hormone to see if it helps. The problem with that plan, though, is that a starting dose hardly ever relieves all symptoms. You actually might feel worse on a starting dose taken for just a few weeks. That "failure" gives the MD ammunition for the stupid argument you don't need treatment at all.

Most of us who are being optimally treated have had to go through several MDs to find it. If you're able to go doctor shopping, ask area pharmacists for names of those who prescribe Armour or Cytomel. They're usually more thyroid-savvy than those who won't prescribe those drugs.

I wish you luck. I'm almost positive you'd feel better with good thyroid care, which you aren't getting at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    mjmjam2002 (05-26-2013)
    Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hello I am also very sorry about the loss of your daughter. I agree with what Midwest tells you.

Just want to comment on your iron since I am having low iron problems.

Your iron is a bit low should be 90-110
    TIBC is high, meaning you can take 150 to 200mgs of elemental iron per day. Which is needed for 2 weeks to bring that up.

Your saturation is quite low(like mine) needs to be 35%

You will most likely need to continue on iron after 2 weeks of high dose, but it might have to be lowered or it could suppress your thyroid.

With iron being low, it can keep the thyroid hormones from going into your cells which will keep you hypothyroid.

I can only take 150mgs to 200mgs of elemental iron for 2 weeks, then I have to back off.

You will need to get that iron retested.

Last edited by Lady50; 05-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady50 For This Useful Post:
    mjmjam2002 (05-26-2013)
    Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
    mjmjam2002
    (female)

mjmjam2002 HB User

Thank you
    I try to drink spinach smoothies daily, apparently not enough for me. Thank you for the iron lesson, I was wondering how that all played in there. All I could figure out what that it seemed low but other than that I was like ahhhhh.

My doctor wants me to wait a month, see how I feel. Get up and go for walks in the morning.. Maybe redo the labs and what not if that doesn't magically make me feel better. Or probably do more talking about how sleep apnea is the cause. Frustrating for sure. Thank you for your kidness.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

I'd agree making sure vitamins and minerals like iron are good before looking into other stuff. Also looking into sleep apnea is worthwhile, I know a few people with it and it's insidious in slowly robbing you of your health.

Also metabolic syndrome is an issue that can produce symptoms similar to thyorid disease and you don't have to be overweight to have it. Causes/risk as I know them are booze, sugar, HFCS, anything with free fructose basically, excessive processed carbs as in without fiber, many antidepressants, and all antipsychotics. (My short list of things you can well do without)

As much as I hate a premature diagnosis of depression, depression has a hormonal component to it as well.

Good Luck, and so very sorry about you loss.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
    Hopefulmama530
    (female)

Hopefulmama530 HB User

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss. I wanted to tell you that my opinion is that if you feel as though something is wrong with your body, then go get a second opinion. As for your doctor telling you to go for walks and wait it out, that is not acceptable. When I told my doctor I wanted to be tested for thyroid because I am in great deal of pain and totally exhausted, she told me to take tylenol and wait 4 months to see if it goes away. I went yesterday armed with a list of tests and demanded she give them to me. She did and also gave me a low dose of thyroid meds to try saying that sometimes labs look normal, yet something can be wrong. Very strange that she changed her outlook, but I was thrilled to be attempting to find out what is going on. I would ask for a referral if you think it needs to be explored further! Good luck!

Closed Thread