It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's and Sinus Bradycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
    manicsquirrel
    (female)

manicsquirrel HB User
    Hashimoto's and Sinus Bradycardia

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about ten years ago based on an abnormal TSH. Steadily, over the years, my doctor has raised my levothyroxine prescription to 137 mcg per day.

In the last few months, I changed primary care physicians - same office, different doctor. The new doctor is much more thorough, listens to me and seems to genuinely want to solve my problems when they arise.

I recently had hemorrhoidectomy surgery. It was the most painful recovery of any surgery I've ever had. It was brought on by years of chronic constipation. In my last doctor visit, I pleaded that I never wanted to go through that again and although I know we've been treating my hypothyroidism for years, we've only been treating my TSH number, but not the symptoms because I still have chronic constipation.

Having never ordered anything other than TSH, they ordered a fairly comprehensive thyroid panel. The results arrived today. The nurse left a voice mail that told me I tested positive for Hashimoto's, but that otherwise, the findings were near perfect. That means they really don't want to pursue the matter.

There is also a complication.

My regular doctor arrives back from vacation tomorrow. She doesn't yet know that since Friday, the other doctor, my old one, fitted me with a heart monitor.

I went to their office last week because of a weird persistent feeling in my chest. It seems that my heart would flutter, or flip-flop, or something every few seconds. They caught the activity on an ECG and could even hear it with a stethoscope. However, because of the holiday weekend, we all knew that there would be no one in our small town to have a closer look. I was advised to go to the emergency room if I felt like my life was in danger.

This heart-thing still persists. I turned in the heart monitor today and expect a call back in the next day or so.

One thing of note on the ECG was "Sinus Bradycardia, 51 BPM". Even for me that's pretty low, but to be honest, my resting pulse rate is right at 60-64 at any given time. I'm no athlete either.

Anyway, so within these few days of not knowing anything, I wonder if my abnormally slow heart rate has anything to do with my hypothyroidism. It's just one more of the small list of annoying symptoms I would like to make go away.

My test results follow. I invite interpretation. Also, I'm 42, Female, 5'10", 215 lbs
    • Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct: 1.47 ng/dL (0.70-1.48 ng/dL)
    • TSH: 2.952 uIU/mL (0.300-4.900 uIU/mL)
    • Triiodothyronine (T3): 1.0 ng/mL (0.6-1.6 ng/mL)
    • TPO Ab: 59 IU/mL (0-34 IU/mL)
    • Antithyroglobulin Ab: <20 IU/mL (0-40 IU/mL)
    • Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum: 2.32 pg/mL (1.71-3.71 pg/mL)

The above reference ranges are in parentheses.

In summary, do my lab tests look perfect and could this heart-thing be yet another symptom of my hypothyroidism?

Thanks for your opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's and Sinus Bradycardia

Sorry for what you have and are going through.

Your Ft4 looks good but your Ft3 is low. The Ft3 is the active hormone. If it is low you will have low heartrate and pulse.

I would say that you need some cytomel T3 added, but finding a doctor that is willing to give you a script, might be a struggle with my experience of the many docs I have seen over the years.

You should ask for some cytomel or the generic. This is why I have been halfway taking care of my thyroid problem because some docs are so clueless and keep us sick. Most only care about watching The TSH, and that is so old school.

Last edited by Lady50; 05-30-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bradycardia, hashimoto, lab results