It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Test results (ultrasound and thyroid panel)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
    Johnny928
    (male)

Johnny928 HB User
    Test results (ultrasound and thyroid panel)

T3 = 36
    T4 = 7.1
    Free Thyroxine Index = 2.6
    TSH = 1.100

Right lobe 5.0x1.6x2.2cm
    Left Lobe 4.4x1.5x1.8cm
    Isthmus 4.0mm

Mild enlargement of right lobe. A single nodule is present.
    Nodule... Front... Left... 6x4x5mm small complex cyst, lower pole

Findings:

Small nodule left lobe of the thyroid gland. Fine needle aspiration not recommended.

Slight enlargement of right thyroid lobe.

End.

Okay, so I have pretty broad symptoms. I definitely have general anxiety disorder and depression but always wondered if my thyroid was off. I got the ultrasound to check out a neck lymph node and had them check the thyroid for the hell of it. I obviously don't like the fact that I have a complex cyst there even though it's small. And why is my right lobe slightly enlarged? Would you guys be alarmed by these findings? Radiologist doesn't recommend going further. Thoughts? Thx.

Last edited by Johnny928; 05-29-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Test results (ultrasound and thyroid panel)

Blood tests reveal thyroid function... The amount of circulating hormone in the bloodstream. Imaging tests only reveal the physical condition of the gland and say nothing about thyroid hormone levels.

I wouldn't be alarmed by the result of your imaging test, but there's too little information shown by that particular blood test panel to know anything for sure about thyroid function. [If you know the lab's reference range for the T4, please post it. We can't tell anything from the result if we don't know the reference range.]

Nodules, cysts, and enlargement of the gland can happen when thyroid function is "off". You need the better panel of tests to know if that's the case with you. It would be worth insisting on another set of tests for TSH, free T4 (not total, as you had), TPO antibodies, and Tg antibodies. Directly measured free T4 is a far superior test to the thyroxine index you had.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
    Johnny928
    (male)

Johnny928 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Here's the reference range...

T3 = 36 Ref 24-39 %

T4 = 7.1 Ref 4.5-12.0

Free Thyroxine Index = 2.6 Ref 1.2-4.9

TSH = 1.100 Ref 0.450-4.500

I know there's antibody tests and more advanced testing, the question is, when is it warranted? I know my thyroid could still be off with my levels all being normal but is that the norm or more of a less likely possibility?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Offhand it seems to me that your thyroid lab results are pretty normal. And the small nodule is likely nothing. So there isn't any reason to suspect that your thyroid can't produce the hormones your body needs.

You might also look to make sure your B12 and Vitamin D levels are okay. Check for low iron. There are other hormones that can also cause problems when they are off. Also don't forget sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
    Johnny928
    (male)

Johnny928 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloom View Post
    Offhand it seems to me that your thyroid lab results are pretty normal. And the small nodule is likely nothing. So there isn't any reason to suspect that your thyroid can't produce the hormones your body needs.

You might also look to make sure your B12 and Vitamin D levels are okay. Check for low iron. There are other hormones that can also cause problems when they are off. Also don't forget sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome.
    Thanks.

My b12 levels and folate were normal. CBC and CMP (14) were normal.
    I've had a sleep study a few years ago and it was suspicious and inconclusive so I'm going to revisit that soon. The problem with getting all these tests is that it's almost never ending. You can dig pretty deep in any direction...

Closed Thread