It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How long after a total thyroidectomy before meds level out?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
    hypohyperwhacko
    (female)

hypohyperwhacko HB Userhypohyperwhacko HB User
    How long after a total thyroidectomy before meds level out?

First of all, thank you to everyone who responds. I really do appreciate it!
    A little background- Prior to having a TT in Nov.2012, I was hypo & treated with Armour. My GP found a small nodule in June 2012 which quickly led to 6 ranging in size from 2mm to 8cm. Meds didn't work to shrink them & 2 solid nodules were thought to be cancerous. During this time, I went from being hypo to very hyper, causing me to drop lots of weight. Since the goiter began obstructing my airway, I had a total thyroidectomy. The surgery wasn't bad, but trying to get my meds regulated is absolute hell! I started on 100mcg of Synthroid the day after surgery. Within 3 weeks, I dropped about 15 pounds & began having hyper symptoms. After labs, my doseage was dropped to 50mcg & we've slowly been increasing it. I'm up to 125mcg & still miserable! Things are much better, but the same thing happens everytime my meds are increased - I start feeling great within a couple of days, then comes the rapid heartrate & I drop a few pounds. Within 3 weeks, I'm back in zombie land. Then we re-draw labs & start the process all over again. My last TSH was 5.4, so it's slowly getting there. T3 &T4 are all over the place, depending on when they're checked. I'm up about 31 pounds in the last 4 months, which is very discouraging. I have acne worse than when I was a teen & get a sun burn if I'm outside for 30 mins, not to mention that my migraines have returned with a vengenance. We're continuing to gradually increase Synthroid & will add Cytomel once my levels are closer to normal. My question is, has anyone else had such a hard time adjusting to increases? This just seems crazy to me! Btw- I'm an active 40yo with PCOS & a severe iodine/shellfish allergy (surgeon & endo would not do ROI after surgery bc of this). Any ideas, thoughts, or advice would be so appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: How long after a total thyroidectomy before meds level out?

When I was first diagnosed, Synthroid was prescribed for me. It never did agree with me. Even in the lowest therapeutic dose, I quickly became hyper, with suppressed TSH and high FTs. That MD told me to stop taking it and to remain untreated until I could "tolerate" the Synthroid. My TSH quickly climbed back to 7 within a month, so remaining untreated was not an option in my mind. I found an MD to prescribe Armour. My labs slowly and steadily improved without ever becoming hyper again.

So my question to you is, how did you feel while taking Armour? It's possible you'd do better on it again than you ever will with Synthroid. Everyone's different. Synthroid may not be for you. Consider trying something else, especially if you didn't have this kind of difficulty on Armour. Even a different brand of levothyroxine might work better. It's a matter of trial and error. An MD who only treats with Synthroid and then refuses to change the plan when Synthroid doesn't work out is doing his patients a disfavor.

Hope you can get it straightened out very soon!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
    hypohyperwhacko
    (female)

After surgery, I started out with the generic & was switched to brand name after a few months. I do see an improvement, but definitely don't feel the way I think I should! I took Armour for about 1.5years before having a TT & responded well but still had the same issues with increasing the doseage. My GP absolutely refuses to prescribe Armour anymore bc of the change in formulation. I honestly hate to change bc he makes it so easy. I've been seeing him for about 15 yrs & he doesn't require an appt for lab draws or follow ups. I just walk in & he works me in (which is not typical in his very busy office). Just wondering....have you ever taken Cytomel? I'm wondering if the synthetic plus T3 would be a good & consistant alternative to Armour. The thought of starting over with a new med makes me want to pull my hair out (instead of it falling out by itself! ). Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
    hypohyperwhacko
    (female)

Th anks for your reply. I did feel better on the Armour but am not sure if it was the med itself or simply that I still had a thyroid. My labs were drawn today, & I guess we'll go from there. I'm just so incredibly frustrated and honestly feel like things will never be back to normal again. I also gained a pound over the last month despite doing cardio everyday & barely eating. At least it was only a pound this month, but it's so incredibly frustrating!

Closed Thread