It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid - new member, eyebrows/lashes falling out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
    marway
    (female)

marway HB User
    Hypothyroid - new member, eyebrows/lashes falling out

My grandmother (deceased), mother, sister, and daughter are hypothyroid so thyroid tests are standard for me. In April 2012, my PCP found a small nodule on my thyroid. Test results: TSH 3.21, T3 3.1, T4 Free .9. In January 2013, I was referred to an endocrinologist and diagnosed hypo. TSH 3.35 (don't have other results). Ultrasound showed numerous small thyroid nodules. Major symptom: extreme fatigue. Prescribed Levothyroxine 50 mcg/day. Outer 1/3 of eyebrows were sparse for a few years before diagnosis, but I didn't know the connection to hypo. After I began the meds, my eyebrows fell out at an alarming rate. The loss has decreased to one or two a day but no regrowth. My lashes are now falling out. Question: Should I continue to lose eyebrows/lashes after five months of levothyroxine? I see the endo in late July. I appreciate any insight you can give me about meds, symptoms, questions to ask, tests, etc. BTW, I am grandmother age and am literally falling apart

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
    Tired63
    (female)

Tired63 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid - new member, eyebrows/lashes falling out

Hi,

I am certainly no expert, but I have been on Levothyroxine for 10 months with good labs and feeling better for the past 4 mos and my eyebrows have not started to grow back at all. I really wish they would, I've given up trying to pencil them on! Good Luck and I too am interested in what others say on this matter.

Thanks,
    Diane

Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
    marway
    (female)

marway HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid - new member, eyebrows/lashes falling out

Tired63, your post makes me optimistic. I would trade eyebrows and eyelashes for feeling better any old day. I've been on Levothyroxine for 5 months. It's good to hear that improvement is still possible after six months.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hypothyroid, hypothyroidism symptoms, nodules