It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Choking feeling...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
    nameIess
    (male)

nameIess HB User
    Choking feeling...

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forum about choking feeling so i do have good idea about what the possibilities are and what the dr is going to do for diagnoses.

However, what I could not find an answer for... is how long did it take for the choking sensation to develop?

Two days ago, I was sitting in front of tv, chatting with family... then all of a sudden I felt like there was something caught in my throat.... the feeling that usually would go away after u have a glass of water. I ignored the feeling and had a sip of my now cool cup of tea and it didn't help. the choking feeling was getting stronger and i ran to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water... I had the whole bottle and the feeling didn't go away... i thought thats strange...

I didn't think much of it.. and it stayed till the next morning (yesterday). I managed my day by drinking lots of water... it feels better when i swallow water... I hoped the feeling will go away by the end of the day.... but it did not and at night i went to my GP who said i have soar throat. he gave me Claritine and thats it. I took it... woke up this morning.... no change at all.

now its almost midnight... just four hours ago i felt like it was getting worse... i can no longer laugh hard or talk freely the way i used to. i feared that it might get worse and tomorrow i'll have trouble breathing or faint.

I went back to my GP, this time i was examined by another doctor. she examined me and said there is no sign of soar throat and referred me to a throat doctor... the appointment can only be arranged tomorrow morning but i guess it wont be sooner than a week or two. she also requested blood tests which will happen tomorrow.

now, my question again... if it was a nudel or a thyroid disorder... and you went through the choking sensation... did you just felt suddenly??! Or was it a thing that happened slowly over time?

I do have one note...
    Before I felt the choking feeling, i was having weird sensation that a strange smell is coming from my throat. This started on thursday so four or three days before the choking started. is this relevant?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
    thyroidmess
    (female)

thyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB Userthyroidmess HB User
    Re: Choking feeling...

Hi. I'm thinking what you have is acid reflux. It can cause all that. If it was a thyroid nodule, it likely wouldn't have come on that fast and wouldn't cause the bad smell or taste. It could also be a muscle spasm but that shouldn't cause the bad smell. Did your doc palpate your throat to check for noduke(s)? Hope you find your answers and best wishes.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Choking feeling...

Hi,
    I was also thinking Acid Reflux,
    I've had the same and it is often accompanied by a difficult to swallow sensation,
    Hoarsness in the throat and loss of voice can also come with acid reflux.
    Hope you find an answer,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread