It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
    KCF33
    (female)

KCF33 HB User
    Hypothyroid

I am not sure if I have hypothyroid, but I feel as if I have all the symptoms.
    1- Wake up tired, after have gone to bed with 8 1/2 hrs of sleep
    2- Crash for naps around 2 o'clock in the afternoon
    3- Hair is falling out in shower with clumps
    4- I am running hot all the time
    5- My head/mind feels fogy
    6- My hands and feet are retaining water
    7- Dry skin, ie, with hands and feet
    8- Weight gain. I went from 135lbs, to 180lbs when 6months. (weight gain is mainly around face, and middle of stomach.
    I have never in my life ever been this big. I a have gone from wearing a size 6, to 14 in those months. I saw my doctor, and he did lab blood work.
    Results: TSH 3.010 Free T4= 7.7 Free T3= 2.3

Doctors says I am fine, but I feel as if something is off. We talked about the new guidelines for numbers showing on TSH, and he was still not wanting to do anything at this point. We want to have kids soon, but I want to get the weight off. Please give me some input...

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board Can you please post reference ranges for FT4 and FT3? Your freeTs sure look low, they would be low with any reference ranges Getting proper treatment for hypoT is vital during pregnancy as the fetus depends on mom's hormones during the first few months of pregnancy.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
    KCF33
    (female)

KCF33 HB User

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome. I have the lab results here. Sorry, I was not including the whole numbers and ranges.
    TSH= 3.010 Range: uIU/mL 0.450-4.500
    FT3= 2.3 30% out of 24-39 Range: 1.2-4.9
    FT4= 7.7 ug/dL Range: 4.5-12.0

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

You seem to have some mix up with those tests The range for FT4 looks awfully like the range for Total T4 (and if you live in the US your range for FT4 would be like .8-1.8 or so, in Europe your FT4 level could look something like that as we use different units and ranges with them). Any case your level doesn't look too great. That "24-39" looks like a range for T3 uptake that really has nothing to do with actual FT3 levels. Please clarify and ask to have "the real FT4" tested as it would help make your case (total T4 gives inaccurate results especially with women due to their level of estrogen).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-13-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
    KCF33
    (female)

KCF33 HB User

I'll try this again.. Based in the United States

TSH 3.010 uIu/mL Reference 0.450-4.500
    Thyroxine (T4) 7.7 ug/dL Reference 4.5-12.0
    T3 Uptake 30 Reference 24-39
    Free Thyroxine Index 2.3 Reference 1.2-4.9

Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your panel of tests is outdated and inaccurate. The thyroxine and uptake tests are used to calculate a mere estimate of free T4. Since free T4 can be directly and accurately measured, it's stupid to run the tests to arrive at an estimate of FT4.

Insist that your doctor order genuine free T4 and free T3 tests. Those aren't it.

And I agree with FinnMaid... To achieve and maintain a healthy pregnancy, your levels have to be optimal. TSH should be no higher than 1.5 and your free T4 should be at least 60% of its range. If you don't have a doctor who sees it this way, find a better doctor.

Since you plan to become pregnant, insist on being tested for TPO antibodies.

Closed Thread