It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can't tolerate my thyroid meds!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
    karen5554
    (female)

karen5554 HB User
    Can't tolerate my thyroid meds!!

2 1/2 years ago my hypothyroid meds (90 mcg synthryoid) started to make me feel extremely hyper, but my blood tests came back looking good. I was finally diagnosed as having Adrenal Fatigue (after seeing 13 doctors and 18 months later) and was taken off my thyroid meds totally for a about 6+ months to heal my adrenals.

My saliva test says my adrenals are much better (still not 100%). I tried to then go on Armour, but continued with anxiety, neck pain, headache all day on right side, depression…the usual.

I am now chopping up the meds and take small doses of 12.5 Synthryoid and 1.25 Cytomel twice a day - morning and afternoon - for about 3 weeks but I still feel hyper…and tired and anxious, depressed. If I take more T3 I start to get really anxious.

I went on the above combination after I first tried just Cytomel alone at 1.25 and went through the roof after about 3 days, so I stopped.

We are trying the above combination thinking the Armour we tried earlier was the wrong ratio of T4/T3 (75/25%). According an online chart, my current med routine of synthroid/cydomel = a ratio of 90/10%.

I am still feeling extremely tired, anxious, no appetite, no energy, dizzy, feel like I'm not here, and depressed. Was considering changing the T4/T3 ratio to perhaps 50/50%. Anyone ever try this?

NOTE--best week ever: A few months ago, we tried switching from 15 Armour only to 12 Synthryoid only for 1 week. Just to try something different. After 1 week of no progress we switched back to about 7.5 Armour for a few days--then upping to 15. And WOW, I had the GREATEST week in the last 2 years ever, then it started to decline again the next week while keeping Armour at about 15.

I was also off Gluten for 3 months with no noticeable improvements.

I keep thinking this has to have something to do with my Adrenals. As I said my saliva test came back much better - the doctor said I was 80% back to normal. I'm thinking that's not close enough?? I need to be 90% before I can tolerate the meds?? 95%?? I don't know!!

Has anyone had experience with this? Were you eventually able to take your thyroid meds again? How were you able to do it?

If you have any information that may help me, PLEASE, take a minute to answer. I'm at my wit's end! Thanks in advance. Karen

Last edited by moderator2; 06-12-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Can't tolerate my thyroid meds!!

Sorry for what you are going through. Have you had iron labs done because if you have low iron, it can cause problems to?.

Iron labs should be serum iron, TIBC, UIBC, iron saturation and ferritin.

You also need B12, vitamin D3, selenium tested. If any of these are low, you will not feel well.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
    karen5554
    (female)

karen5554 HB User

Thanks for your reply Lady50. Yes, I've had all iron labs done, B12, D3, etc. I've had my hormones tested and am on bioidentical hormones. I think I've had everything that can be tested tested.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I think too much progesterone can make you feel hyper too. Do you think maybe you are still swinging back and forth? Do you have any recent labs with what dose you were on at the time and for how long? How long does it usually take for you too feel hyper or to have hyper labs?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
    karen5554
    (female)

karen5554 HB User

Hi - I replied to you this morning but I don't see the reply here. Darn. I don't know what I did wrong (and my answer was a long one). Let's see if I can recreate it.

I get my hormones and thyroid checked regularly. The hormones are good and the thyroid used to be good, until I had to stop the meds because I was adrenal fatigued and they started to make me hyper. I never have had a test result of hyperthyroid. I only FEEL hyper when I take the medication.

I tried Armour - different doses - for the last few months with no luck. Made me hyper.

Just recently I started taking 1.25 Cytomel/25 Synthryoid each day about 4 weeks ago (doctor thought we could control it better this way). The first 2 days I felt good, then the next 5 days I felt so worn out I could barely move.

Started 2.5 Cytomel/25 Synthryoid each day. Was anxious but not terrible. Then the dr. said to try 3.75 Cytomel/25 Synthryoid and I couldn't stand it.

So now I'm back to 2.5 Cytomel/12 Synthryoid and holding there. My heart rate was shooting up, then going down again, every day. It's a little better yesterday and today. I don't feel the dose much when I take it either. I would get very jumpy after taking it.

I should be on an equivalent to about 90 Armour or so (whatever that works out to in Cytomel and Synthryoid). I'm a long way from that.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Hi again!
    Now, when you were on 90 of Synthroid, had you titrated up to that over time? What did you start out at? My doc says it's the T-3 that you will "feel"so if you got labs when you "felt" hyper your labs could reflect that and you would know for sure. I was on 45 mgs or mscg's of Armour around Christmas and I got progressively hyper over a 2 month period. My FT3 had gone over the range. I never felt that anxious before, even when I had Graves 7 years before this! The T-3 in Armour at that dose just was too much. I have antibodies for both Graves and Hashi's and my doc thinks whatever is in control at the time.I started out with T-3 toxicosis back then so my T-3 tends to shoot up, especially when I'm stressed. Happens all the time. Stress was the factor when I first was diagnosed. I don't mean everyday stress but something bigger than that. Do you have higher T-3 than T-4 usually? Like when you took Synthroid,how were your numbers?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
    karen5554
    (female)

karen5554 HB User

No, I never titrated up on the 90 Synthroid when I first started on thyroid med in 2005. I never felt hyper. And the only test I ever had for years was a TSH with a Free T3 or T4 thrown in for some reason. No consistency. Of course at the time I thought the Doctors knew what they were doing.

I know a lot of people need to get used to T3. I also considered that maybe I was swinging between hypo and hyper but the tests I've taken over the past year or so (complete tests) never showed that on the tests.

My latest panel (below) was taken in April when I was on 11.25mg of Armour. (I cut up a 15mg tablet). According to my numbers the doc (he's baffled by this also) said I should be on about 90mg of Armour - but as I said - I don't come close to handling that much.

I have Hashis and have gone gluten free and that didn't help.

Free T4 0.91
    TSH 8.977
    Total T3 0.59
    Free T3 2.01
    Reverse T3 10

Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Your FT4 isn't great at all but your FT3 is really low. It does look like you can do a lot better. Maybe you could take that Isocort stuff for awhile.A lot of people do that first before the Armour. My adrenals can be on the higher side, usually, not low. When I first took Armour, I went from 15 to 30 to 37.5 to 45. When I first took it I felt a little hyper but not anxious. Now I'm on Cytomel and Levo, took everything from Synthroid (made me itch) to Levo (generic), Levoxyl (never felt right on that) and then Armour. Was great at first but then i reached the hyper point on it and when I went down in the dose, I felt blah...not like at first. If I could have tolerated all the T-3 i would have gone to 60 but I was on the verge of paranoia on the 45 Riding in the car with hubby was a nightmare. I would suck my breath in at every little thing. It drove him crazy!! I knew at that point i was overdosing on the T-3 in the Armour. So I asked to do the Levo/Cytomel combo after the Armour seemed like it stopped working for me,figuring I could adjust the Cytomel better, if need be. When I was on Levoxyl, after 2 months both free numbers went to the top of the range and I was only on 37.5 and I didn't feel too good either so that's when I switched to Armour. It takes me a good 7 weeks to feel a change sometimes. Or for my labs to reflect the change.I'm taking 5 msgs a day of the Cytomel split and don't feel anxious or anything like that. I wonder if i never took Armour if I would feel hyper on it. My mind feels better than it did a month ago,I felt very low in my mood,that blah not want to do anything mood.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
    karen5554
    (female)

karen5554 HB User

Hi, that's basically what I'm thinking I'm going to have to do... Wait for my body to adjust - and hopefully it will - and then push the dose up a tiny bit and then wait for it to adjust again, etc. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get up enough on the dose to feel some relief from the hypothyroid symptoms.

I was hoping that someone else with my problem would see this thread and say, yea, that's what happened to me and this is what I did about it and it worked. I'm sure there are people that this has happened to but they solved the problem, feel good, and their lives are back to normal and they're not on Healthboards.com anymore looking for an answer.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would think it HAS to be some kind of adrenal problem if you can't tolerate the tiniest of doses. Talk to your doc more about it. Maybe he will put you on a small dose of some kind of adrenal support. Or maybe you could try a natural one.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 06-15-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
    karen5554
    (female)

karen5554 HB User

According to my last saliva test I'm much better than I was. Good enough that the Doc thought I could start back on thyroid meds. He didn't want me going on Cortif (is that the name of it?) and has had me only on vitamins/supplements. He said I was about 80% back to normal.

So that's what I'm wondering... I know everybody is different. Maybe my body needs to be at 90%?? 95%???

Thanks for your concern though. I really appreciate your caring.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, Cortif can do a number on your bones I guess but there's one that some people on another board have gone on called Isocort,it must be a weaker version? It's funny though your labs don't really match your symptoms, so I hope you can gradually build up. I guess you gotta start from square one again! Good luck hon!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bran'sNana For This Useful Post:
    karen5554 (06-15-2013)
    Closed Thread