It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Subacute Thyroiditis - Will This Ever End?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
    Georgiamama
    (female)

Georgiamama HB User
    Subacute Thyroiditis - Will This Ever End?

This is my very first post. I don't even know where to start, but I am hoping to get some help & kind advice.

Last December I started feeling bad anxiety, GI issues, sore throat/painful swallowing, fatigued, chest pain, etc. I chalked it all up to holiday stress & possible acid reflux. I had an endoscopy, went to the ER several times, and had many doctor and pharmacy visits from December through February. No luck on any diagnosis or relief. Then mid February I woke up with heart palpitations, dizziness, anxiety, diarrhea, low grade fever, insomnia, tremors, foggy brained, muscle cramps, the works. After a trip to the ER with every scan, lab test, and x ray I was diagnosed with anxiety. I knew that wasn't true & found a gp who didn't believe that anxiety was what I was dealing with either.

After weeks of being the sickest I have ever been in my life and my doctor not being able to figure out why, I was referred to an Endocrinologist who took one look at me, my symptoms, and my lab work and diagnosed me with subacute thyroiditis. She ran her own labs (I don't know if/what results I should post) including the antibody and free t3, t4 tests and an ultrasound (a few small nodules) and confirmed her earlier diagnosis. Since that diagnosis in March, I have seen her several more times and had more lab work. I was slowly progressing symptom wise with the heart palpitations quitting around the week 9 mark. The thyroid pain comes and goes. Some days were terrible, where it felt like someone was squeezing my neck, but as time has gone on, it hasn't been as bad.

The latest round of tests with the Endo was June 5th and she stated that my labs were "perfect" and I should expect to feel better soon, definitely by August when I am scheduled to see her. This thrilled me as I am desperate to have my life back. After being on medical leave from work, I had just gone back and I was sleeping through the night again with blankets. The anxiety attacks were few and far between...then I got sick again this week. I cannot believe this. It isn't as debilitating as before, as in I am not in bed, but I feel lousy and had to work from home today.

My question is, what can I expect? I feel like I have been sick all year and I am not getting any better. It is now mid June and I am having a flare up of symptoms. Lots of anxiety, low grade fever, diarrhea, intolerant to the heat, not sleeping through the night. I met a couple of people online who said their symptoms came and went. I guess, I am mentally and physically exhausted after 4 long nonstop months of this. Just when I think I am improving, I get sick again.

Are flare ups common? I have heard that subacute thyroiditis runs its course in 4 to 6 months, but I have seen horror stories online in the little bit I have been able to find about this. I am frustrated and would love to hear from people who have gone through this. Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Subacute Thyroiditis - Will This Ever End?

I had it many many years ago---it was worst in the hyper phase for me. Then it cycled from hyper to hypo, and then I was exhausted. It took about 5 months for me to cycle back to normal. I used a lot of motrin to help me keep the neck pain down.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
    Georgiamama
    (female)

Georgiamama HB User
    Re: Subacute Thyroiditis - Will This Ever End?

Thank you for the reply Reece! I would love if this would be gone at the 5 month mark. That would mean that I am almost at the end of this ordeal. My dr thinks that based on my "perfect" labs drawn two weeks ago that my body should be going normal soon. But man, I feel terrible. I wouldn't wish subacute thyroiditis on anyone.

How long were you hyper and hypo during that 5 month period that you had this? Every time that I think the hyper is over and I am going hypo...I get cold, incredibly exhausted (but I am so thankful to get the sleep)...I get hit with hyper symptoms again along with the low grade fever and thyroid pain like I have been experiencing for the past two days. Did you have symptom flare ups throughout?

Closed Thread